Garmin Forerunner 301

Weight 2.75 oz / 78 g
Dimensions 3.26 in x 1.71 in x 0.7 in / 8.28 cm x 4.35 cm x 1.8 cm
Display Size 1.44 in x 0.92 in / 3.65 cm x 2.34 cm
Display Resolution 100 x 64 pixels

I've used and abused this thing for almost a decade,…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I was able to keep it)

Summary

I've used and abused this thing for almost a decade, mainly for cycling. I strap it to my top tube and off I go. I love the ability to upload the ride onto the Garmin Training Center application and gather my ride metrics (speed, average speed, climbing and descent data) and overlay it on a map.

Pros

• Easy to set up and use
  • Variety of training modes (running, cycling)
  • Long battery life, rechargeable

Cons

• Sometimes difficult to see in the sunlight
  • Not comfortable to wear on the wrist when cycling

This has been one of my favorite training aids. I used to wear the heart monitor but stopped after a while because I was having trouble getting a reliable signal. Plus the chest strap was annoying so I didn't mind ditching it.

I've used this device for close to 10 years so it has been a durable product. I normally strap it either to my handlebar or top tube and monitor my progress from there. Mainly it's turn it on and forget it until I get back and upload the data onto my computer. The Garmin Training Center software is fun to use and it keeps a log of all my rides so I can compare. You can also set up a ghost rider so you can "race" against one of your better rides.

I've recently lost one of the rubber button tabs, the one that supports the up arrow. It might be time to see what's new out there and how technology has changed in the last decade.

Garmin Forerunner 301

The Forerunner 301 has been discontinued.

The Garmin Forerunner 301 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.