Garmin Forerunner 301

Weight 2.75 oz / 78 g
Dimensions 3.26 in x 1.71 in x 0.7 in / 8.28 cm x 4.35 cm x 1.8 cm
Display Size 1.44 in x 0.92 in / 3.65 cm x 2.34 cm
Display Resolution 100 x 64 pixels

I've used and abused this thing for almost a decade,…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I was able to keep it)

Summary

I've used and abused this thing for almost a decade, mainly for cycling. I strap it to my top tube and off I go. I love the ability to upload the ride onto the Garmin Training Center application and gather my ride metrics (speed, average speed, climbing and descent data) and overlay it on a map.

Pros

• Easy to set up and use
  • Variety of training modes (running, cycling)
  • Long battery life, rechargeable

Cons

• Sometimes difficult to see in the sunlight
  • Not comfortable to wear on the wrist when cycling

This has been one of my favorite training aids. I used to wear the heart monitor but stopped after a while because I was having trouble getting a reliable signal. Plus the chest strap was annoying so I didn't mind ditching it.

I've used this device for close to 10 years so it has been a durable product. I normally strap it either to my handlebar or top tube and monitor my progress from there. Mainly it's turn it on and forget it until I get back and upload the data onto my computer. The Garmin Training Center software is fun to use and it keeps a log of all my rides so I can compare. You can also set up a ghost rider so you can "race" against one of your better rides.

I've recently lost one of the rubber button tabs, the one that supports the up arrow. It might be time to see what's new out there and how technology has changed in the last decade.

Visit Garmin's Forerunner 301 page.

Map your trail running route with the wrist-mounted Garmin Forerunner 301 personal trainer. Utilizing GPS technology, it calculates workout speed, distance, pace and calorie burn, while also auto-lapping when doubling the loop and auto pausing while taking a breather.

- Mountain Gear

This versatile personal trainer adds a digital, coded heart rate monitor to the list of Forerunner features and supports multiple sport profiles for running, biking and other sports — perfect for any athlete who wants to see tangible results.

- Rocky Mountain Trail

If you're serious about training and your gym is the great outdoors, the wrist-mounted Garmin Forerunner 301 is your personal coach, heart-rate monitor, and route map. With internal speed and distance calculation, elevation tracking, zone targeting and a host of compatible computer programs, the Forerunner 301 has every ingredient for a record-breaking season. When you get back from a run or bike ride, you can hook up to your Mac or PC and use Garmin's online MotionBased program to lay maps over your route, find out calories burned, track your change in heart rate on different terrain, and send your routes to friends (or competitors) to show them how much butt you're kicking. Triathletes love the easy switch between running and biking modes, and the Virtual Coach program keeps you on your toes in every discipline. Try to keep pace with your pre-programmed Virtual Partner and you'll know whether you're meeting your goals every step of the way. As if that weren't enough, the Forerunner 301's GPS stores waypoints to guide you back to your car if you lose your way.

- Backcountry Outlet

The Forerunner offers athletes and recreational walkers/runners an entry-level personal training device with GPS sensors that provides precise speed, distance and pace data.They are a compact, waterproof, lightweight, accurate training assistant with performance tracking, auto-lap, auto-pause and more.Forerunner 101 runs on 2 AAA batteries and has larger unit dimensions.Forerunner 201 has PC interface capabilities and runs on rechargeable lithium batteries.Forerunner 301 adds heartrate monitor and Garmin Training Center software to the features of the 201.

- CampSaver.com

Garmin Forerunner 301

The Forerunner 301 has been discontinued.

The Garmin Forerunner 301 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.