This is an excellent GPS for outdoor, hunting, fishing,…

Summary

This is an excellent GPS for outdoor, hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, backpacking, and military type use. The small form factor, good battery life, and ease of use along with the ability to customize some screens to give you exactly the data you want at a glance makes this unit my #1 pick for outdoor adventures.

Pros

• Compact
  • Easy to use

Cons

• A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for
  • Not able to load map overlays

I purchased this GPS to use primarily on hiking and backpacking trips. Opening the box and removing the device is pretty straightforward. Setup was easy and the system and button layout is pretty intuitive. After a few minutes scrolling through the pages I was all set to start adding waypoints and navigating.

Since receiving this GPS I have used it on a few short day hikes and one overnight trip. All three outings were excellent. I was able to mark the location of the car before heading out. I really like the tracks or "bread crumbs" that it records. A few times I had to travel off the trail to find water and whatnot, getting back on track was a breeze.

I really like customizing the pages to show me the data that matters to me. I was able to see how far I had hiked, my total time moving, and estimated arrival at camp.

This device is exactly what I need and nothing that I don't. I highly recommend this GPS to anyone that spends time outdoors.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jonathan! Thanks for sharing a review of your GPS receiver with us.

Thanks for posting, Jonathan. Seems pretty expensive for no map overlays, IMO.

Bill S

You did not mention the size of the 601. I am going to guess from the image that it is intended for wearing on the wrist. I have a couple other Garmin GPSRs with a large enough screen that I can use their maps. They are larger than the wrist units, but being able to see a real map and zoom in and out to get detail makes a big difference to me.