Garmont Sitka GTX

I used this boot for 2 weeks hiking on the Crest Trail…

Materials: Gore-Tex
Use: Day hikes with light pack on mountain trails
Break-in Period: None!
Weight: Light

I used this boot for 2 weeks hiking on the Crest Trail and surrounding area near Ruidoso, New Mexico, and at White Sands National Park.

Overall, I like it as a trail hiker boot. Caution: The boot has a narrow last. I had to get 1/2 size over my usual New Balance shoe size and they were still snug. The vibram sole is soft and flexible, but I had no problem walking over rocky trails. The upside is that the boot has a really cushion like walk and is very light. I was able to hike the very first day with no break in issues.

They have a nice toe cap and good protection including an additional leather cap over the inside ankle bone. My favorite comment is that the laces stay tied. The lace material and weave seems to hold on itself and I could go all day without having to retie.

I did not test the GoreTex waterproofing as the trails were pretty dry and I only had a little rain to walk through.

Overall, the boot is very comfortable for long trail hikes with a light pack. I felt protected and never noticed the boots unless I was thinking about them. They seem very well made and I had no damage or seam failures. The boots are a bit pricey, but I got my money's worth.

If you've owned or used a Garmont Sitka GTX, please share your experience.

Garmont Sitka GTX

$169.95 (women's)

The Garmont Sitka GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.