Garmont Synchro GTX

Durable boot. Fits wider feet comfortably. I've had…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Durable boot. Fits wider feet comfortably.

Pros

• Fit

Cons

• Older model had no toe cap
  • Tread not best on slippery surfaces

I've had TWO pairs of these. Originally the first pair I shipped back because the toe was delaminating. They replaced it with the same pair, which I've worn for two or three hiking/light trail work field seasons. I've found with this boot (prior to the toecap on newer models), that I knew the weak point, so I shoe-gooed the toe area and do so throughout the field season.

I'm not a backcountry crew member, so I didn't need the stiffest, most rugged boot. When it is really hot out, I wear a lighter boot. I've been very satisfied with the fit of this boot, and would consider buying the updated version.

I bought this in a 9, and it fits well with out heel slippage. I'm usually a 9 in Garmont, and in a brand such as Salomon, an 8.5.  I'd be curious to try a half size down in this boot, as when I go downhill I really do have to retye the laces to avoid my toes hitting the front too much.

Pro:

• Fits custom insole well and fits my wider forefoot
  • Lasts several seasons (but I think if on a more rugged job, I would probably opt for a boot with deeper tread that'd last longer than this)
  • Great customer service
  • Stays dry

Con:

• Tread on these was never really that great on wet logs and rocks, even if approaching with little momentum
  • Old model had issue in toe area with the rubber separating from the nubuck

Exceptionally light boot, which reduced my foot fatigue.

Materials: New buck with Gore-tex
Use: mountian expedition with heavy pack
Break-in Period: one month
Weight: 1.5 lbs

Exceptionally light boot, which reduced my foot fatigue. I've had them for 5 years with high mileage (up to 60 km/day). They breathe great, carry myself (190 lbs) and a 90lb expedition pack with no problems over scramble condition (Northover Pass). The front of my boots blew out after 5 years from constantly descending steep headwalls. Great for winter (with gators) and summer. I plan to replace my destroyed ones with the same product. Downside they are not that visually appealing and make sure they are made in ITALY not CHINA. Plus buy an insole to add comfort.

Happy Exploring.

An industrial strength semi-traditional trekker, the Garmont Syncro GTX fights foul weather with Gore-Tex and a top grain leather upper.

- EMS refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Garmont Men's Synchro GTX Shoes (Fall 2007) The Men's Synchro GTX Shoes by Garmont is ideal for backpacking and rough terrain day hiking.Features:Gore-Tex and top grain leather upper Protected by a rugged toe bumperVibram sole and durable, lightweight Polyurethane midsoleSpecifications:Upper: 2.2 mm top grain leatherLining: Gore-Tex SierraInsole: FrameFlex MidMidsole: PolyurethaneSole: Vibram Ground ControlWeight: 720 (1/2 pr.. Men s 8.5)Weight: 1 lb. 9 oz

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Medium load multi day trips on moderate terrain - Day hikes - Aggressive terrain day hikes - Winter walking - Light trekking

- Massey's Outfitters refers to the men's version

Light enough for use on day hikes, these waterproof boots are great for multi-day trips with light to moderate loads. Durable and flexible nubuck leather uppers offer long-lasting comfort, support and breathability. Gore-Tex® drop-liners with wicking nylon linings are seam-sealed for total waterproof protection while allowing moisture vapor out. Scree tongues with full gussets keep out loose trail debris and water; flexible cuffs are supportive and non-irritating to ankles. BiUrethane midsoles with heel inserts supply cushioning and shock-absorption for comfort all-day long. FrameFlex light midsole supports help control flex and add torsional rigidity for safer footing on difficult terrain. Sturdy and durable Vibram® rubber outsoles have aggressive lugs for dependable braking and traction.

- REI refers to the men's version

Garmont Synchro GTX

The Synchro GTX has been discontinued.

The Garmont Synchro GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 14, 2014 at EMS.