Gear Aid Seam Grip

There are other products out there which can fix leaking…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept it!)

Summary

There are other products out there which can fix leaking camping gear, although I have tried a few with disappointing results. Then I got McNett’s Seam Grip.

Pros

• Comes in small tube
  • Has applicator brushes

Cons

• Metal tube can burst

There are other products out there which can fix leaking camping gear, although I have tried a few with disappointing results. Then I got McNett’s Seam Grip via Alpine & Leisure, an importer of McNett’s products for the New Zealand market.

What I like is that Seam Grip comes with a brush-like applicator head, and a tiny paint brush to help you seal those hard-to-get-to places like the inside-out corners of a tent. The 28 gram tube seems adequate for my needs, and best of all, that 8 grams feels weightless in my backpack.

It’s tough, and I won’t accept anything less.

This stuff works well and does what its suppose to.

Usage: Tube

This stuff works well and does what its suppose to.

The only drawback that I can see with it is that after your tent sits all winter rolled up in the stuff sack (like you're not suppose to do anyway) it tends to stick to itself a little bit, but it is not sticky to the touch. I have used it with a makeshift patch on the floor of a tent and on a small tarp and both have lasted well and not leaked at all.

I rated it as a 4 because it stuck to itself after sitting and it takes a while to dry. It is not something I would use on the trail.

I would recommend this to a friend.

McNett's Seam Grip is the absolute best you can use.

Usage: Sealant

McNett's Seam Grip is the absolute best you can use. If you use anything else you are wasting your time and money. I went through about a dozen other sealants and found NOTHING that even comes close to the performance and value of this product.

The Good: It is the best tent sealant out there. If you think you found one better for a cheaper price, please let me know!!! Keep in mind that this stuff doesn't seem to penetrate fabric at all and remains on the surface like an armored sheet. There may be other uses that require penetrating sealants and this isn't made for that.

The Bad: If you are a total geek and mind a little discoloration from the sealant then you won't like the sheen that this leaves. You should also probably stick to camping in your mom's back yard...

The applicator brush tip it comes with is almost useless. Use the separate brush to spread the stuff over exposed threads. You can also use a syringe to apply it into cracks but you need to find the exact diameter applicator tip or it will drip out.

The Ugly: Nothing. Wish it was cheaper or easier to find the giant tubes

If you've owned or used a Gear Aid Seam Grip, please share your experience.