Gear Aid Seam Grip

I've used Seam Grip to seal seams on $15 tents to…

Summary

I've used Seam Grip to seal seams on $15 tents to $600 tents, new tents and old tents, with excellent results. Recommended for anyone that wants to ensure their tents' seams don't leak.

Pros

• Seals seams

Cons

• Pricy
  • Can be tacky after drying

As stated I've used Seam Grip on new to old tents, inexpensive $15 tents to the more expensive $600 tents and everything in between. Sealing seams on either the exterior or interior seams whether they needed it or not. Most currently a Catoma EBNS Enhanced Bed Net System floor tub.

It does take time to dry/cure. Eight to twelve hours. However, they do have available a solution you can buy that will cut the cure time down from 8 to 12 hours to 2 hours. I haven't tried this quick cure solution, but it is available.

You really want to use some common sense when sealing the seams on your tent. There's several good instructional videos out there and I suggest you watch then first; i.e. before, you use this product or any other.

Two brushes come in the package. They have different application purposes depending on application need. Again watch some application instructional videos first so you know what these differences are.

Unfortunately it doesn't include a syringe for application and this can be very handy, almost necessary, in certain instances. Some tent manufactures actually include such syringes in their field repair kits which include Seam Grip.

The better syringes to use have a finer tip. Some have a curved tip. Such as a Curved Tip Irrigation Syringe commonly used in the medical field and found at medical supply houses10202011124231.jpg

Some hardware stores and hobby shops also sell disposable plastic syringes, so check your local outlets for type and availability.

Another source for a syringe that can be used I just discovered recently and worked well in my most recent application of Seam Grip was your local pharmacy. In my case CVS. If you ask nicely they have a small 5mil disposable syringe they will happily give you at no cost. Nothing fancy, but it works.

collage_20150402124606556.jpg

It can remain tacky once cured. However, I found this to be dependant on weather conditions and temperature.

For instance, tents I've done in the South Florida summer heat and humidity dried tack free. While those done in more Northern areas in cooler temps, remained slightly tacky.

A couple tips I can share for application.

For starters this is not a thick glue, it's not like a silicone caulking, so be prepared for that.

Secondly, this is not the product to use on Silnylon. They have other suitable products you need to use to seal seams in such material.

Wipe the seam with isopropyl alcohol as it directs on the package. This will help in the bond to the material and create a better seal.

In high heat/humidity it will start to cure fast, so work with intent and with a quickness.

Apply a thin layer pushing it into the threads as you smooth it out.

Only apply it to one side, either interior or exterior. Putting it on booths sides of the seam is overkill and a waste. And there's only so much in the tube to begin with. So be smart with it.

Humidity is your friend with this product. It helps the curing process. Note I said humidity, not rain.

It's suggested on the package to use talc if tacky after the cure time is up. You can, but you'll have a white strip around your tent and have to deal with the clean up of all the talc that didn't adhere to the Seam Grip. I found the tackiness goes away over time. Besides I usually seal the seams when inspecting and readying gear the week prior to a trip. So the tent or what have you will be opened up and Seam Grip will have all the time it needs to cure track free on its own. That said, use your own discretion when it comes to using talc or not.

That's about all I can think of to tell you at the moment. If you have any further questions about sealing your seams or this product, I'm sure you c.d.s. get them answered in the Trailspace forums.

Happy Trails,

- chase -

The only thing I will use on cuts, tears, and seams.

Price Paid: Can't remember

Summary

The only thing I will use on cuts, tears, and seams.

Pros

• Excellent bonding
  • Superior strength
  • Flexibility

Cons

• Cure time
  • Sticks to self

I've used Seam Grip on everything from tents, to rain shells, to hiking shoes, to even fishing waders. Depending on the location and size of tear, I may back it with Tenacious Tape, then smear on Seam Grip, such as on the sleeve of my rain shell.  On my tent seams, I actually had to re-stitch, then seal it.

My largest job was when the vinyl window on the rain fly of my REI tent simply let loose — literally coming off.

It took a few evenings and creative taping/stretching/gluing sessions to get it back in place, but it has held through near hurricane force wind and rain on two occasions.

Last season, I tore a 1.5 inch hole in my fishing waders on the thigh. After drying and wiping with alcohol inside and out - and allowing that to dry, I placed a Tenacious patch on the outside and seam gripped the inside. It's held up to near a dozen fishing outings, often being submerged for hours at a time.

Aside from my window sticking to itself a few times, I have nothing but praise for this stuff!

Thanks for the review, Matt. I also use Tenacious Tape in combo with Seam Grip. If you're willing to add them to your review, it would be super helpful to see some pics of your repairs.

There are other products out there which can fix leaking…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept it!)

Summary

There are other products out there which can fix leaking camping gear, although I have tried a few with disappointing results. Then I got McNett’s Seam Grip.

Pros

• Comes in small tube
  • Has applicator brushes

Cons

• Metal tube can burst

There are other products out there which can fix leaking camping gear, although I have tried a few with disappointing results. Then I got McNett’s Seam Grip via Alpine & Leisure, an importer of McNett’s products for the New Zealand market.

What I like is that Seam Grip comes with a brush-like applicator head, and a tiny paint brush to help you seal those hard-to-get-to places like the inside-out corners of a tent. The 28 gram tube seems adequate for my needs, and best of all, that 8 grams feels weightless in my backpack.

It’s tough, and I won’t accept anything less.

This stuff works well and does what its suppose to.

Usage: Tube

This stuff works well and does what its suppose to.

The only drawback that I can see with it is that after your tent sits all winter rolled up in the stuff sack (like you're not suppose to do anyway) it tends to stick to itself a little bit, but it is not sticky to the touch. I have used it with a makeshift patch on the floor of a tent and on a small tarp and both have lasted well and not leaked at all.

I rated it as a 4 because it stuck to itself after sitting and it takes a while to dry. It is not something I would use on the trail.

I would recommend this to a friend.

McNett's Seam Grip is the absolute best you can use.

Usage: Sealant

McNett's Seam Grip is the absolute best you can use. If you use anything else you are wasting your time and money. I went through about a dozen other sealants and found NOTHING that even comes close to the performance and value of this product.

The Good: It is the best tent sealant out there. If you think you found one better for a cheaper price, please let me know!!! Keep in mind that this stuff doesn't seem to penetrate fabric at all and remains on the surface like an armored sheet. There may be other uses that require penetrating sealants and this isn't made for that.

The Bad: If you are a total geek and mind a little discoloration from the sealant then you won't like the sheen that this leaves. You should also probably stick to camping in your mom's back yard...

The applicator brush tip it comes with is almost useless. Use the separate brush to spread the stuff over exposed threads. You can also use a syringe to apply it into cracks but you need to find the exact diameter applicator tip or it will drip out.

The Ugly: Nothing. Wish it was cheaper or easier to find the giant tubes