Gear Aid Tenacious Tape

Stronger and more aesthetic solution than duck tape.

Summary

Stronger and more aesthetic solution than duck tape.

Pros

• Stronger and stickier than duck tape
  • Easy storage
  • Simple to use

Cons

• Small chance that tape won't come off from backing
  • Not a lot of tape for the price you pay

This is the only gear repair tape I've used, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I got this tape with the intention of repairing this terrible tear that I created on interior fabric of my rain jacket. I cut out a generous amount and applied it directly to the tear.

The great thing about this tape is that so far, none of the edges of the tape have frayed after application. I will probably buy more for future use. This tape is a much better solution that duck tape to fix holes and your gear will have a much longer lifespan.

IMG_2659_Fotor_Collage.jpg

I also applied it to where the tape seams have started to break.

IMG_2661_Fotor_Collage.jpg

It even worked on the back of my shoe where a hole started to form.

Toughest gear repair tape I've come across. Hasn't…

Price Paid: $4-5

Summary

Toughest gear repair tape I've come across. Hasn't failed me yet.

Pros

• Strong and durable repairs
  • Can be used on many fabrics

Cons

• Doesn't work on sil-nylon

This tape is much stronger than duct tape and can be used to repair everything from packs to rain jackets.

I first used this tape as a last minute repair on a well used ULA pack before heading into the Rockies. The tape not only held up for that trip, it is still holding up over 2 years later and multiple trips into the woods.

I have since used tenacious tape to repair another backpack (Golite) and fix several places on my Marmot rain jacket where the inside waterproofing had rubbed off. I was about to trash the old Marmot softshell rainjacket until I remembered this stuff and thought to give it a try. The tape is waterproof and the rainjacket is working like new. I placed the tenacious tape on the inside of the jacket to cover up the rubbed off waterproofing material. I suspect this jacket will get several more years of use with this tape and save me quite a bit of money.

Yes, this tape is a bane to gear manufacturers. With this stuff, you can go much longer before buying replacement gear. Plus, the Tenacious Tape comes in multiple colors and even looks good.

This stuff goes in my pack these days.

The only downside to this tape is that it uses acrylic adhesive and the acrylic will not adhere well to silicon. So, you should not use this tape on silicon impregnated materials. So, do not use this stuff on Sil-Nylon tents.

I tried a coloured American patch tape with disappointing…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept it!)

Summary

I tried a coloured American patch tape with disappointing results. In particular, the patch slid across the fabric and left a sticky mark. I wasn’t happy. Then I heard of Tenacious Tape by McNett’s.

Pros

• Comes in handy lightweight container
  • Sticks like Hell

Cons

• Blue container attracts some biting flies

I tried a coloured American patch tape with disappointing results. In particular, the patch slid across the fabric and left a sticky mark. I wasn’t happy. Then I heard of Tenacious Tape by McNett’s which outdoors and sports stores in New Zealand can order through Alpine & Leisure importers. So I got a roll.

I discussed it with a seasoned traveller from Canada, and we agreed the quality of this tape is excellent. So I’m throwing away my coloured tape patches in favour of McNett’s Tenacious Tape which comes in a handy sealable container (the best part about this container is that it will make an excellent sewing kit holder once I’ve used the tape inside to fix my most vicious fabric cuts).

Visit Gear Aid's Tenacious Tape page.

Tenacious Tape by Gear Aid repairs rips, holes and gashes in almost all of your outdoor gear. It stays put no matter what Mother Nature dishes out and leaves no sticky mess. Toss Tenacious Tape in your outdoor gear kit for a little extra peace of mind. Repairs camping gear, sleeping bags and pads, tents, clothing, vinyl rafts, down jacketswhatever needs a quick patch, so you can stay outside.

- CampSaver.com

Tenacious TapeTM repair tape is ideal for fast in-field repairs on tents, tarps and rain gear.

Super-aggressive adhesive tape that sticks to almost any surface and can be used for a variety of flexible, long-lasting repairs at home or in the field.

- EMS

Clean Adhesive Technology allows Tenacious Tape to be removed without leaving an ugly glue mess behind Ideal for repairs on tents, tarps, rain gear, sleeping pads, seat cushions, boat covers, and more

- Mountains Plus