Giro Nine.9 Helmet

An excellent helmet that has served me well in all…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

An excellent helmet that has served me well in all weather conditions. It is light on the head, warm, and far more comfortable than a hat. Plus, it works well with many sets of goggles — no need to buy a special type!

Pros

• Light on the head
  • Warm in cold weather, and well ventillated for hot days
  • Very durable

Cons

• It is a very popular style, so this won't make you stand out from the crowd
  • To ventillate in my version, you remove plugs from the inside, which you then have to carry in a pocket. (Newer versions might not have this issue)

I was a bit reluctant to get a helmet for skiing, but it has been a few years with this one, and I'd not go back to a hat. For one, gone are the itchy heads of a hat. The helmet is warmer, feels lighter, and does not obstruct visibility at all. It works very well with my goggles.

Now, I am not a cutting-edge person, so this will lack the flash that some snow-riders love. But, that's okay by me! You can always add stickers.

In my version, I have ventilation by removing a few inserts from the inside of the helmet. On hot days, that means you have to either remove them before you get hot, or stuff the inserts in your pockets. When going in a soft-shell for spring skiing, I find the inserts competing for limited pocket space.

Overall, this is a great helmet that has served me well and which I would buy again — although I don't want to crash hard enough to need to do so! :-)

The Giro Nine.9 helmet is light and tough. Built for skiers and snowboards who spend all day every day in their helmets, the Nine.9 is designed for comfort. In-mold construction bonds a flylight shell to a high-performance EPS liner for an unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio. 12 supercharged vents are as cool as you want to be, with Weatherstrip vent plugs to seal warmth in and cold out. Removable earpads, the Giro Goggle Notch and gapless goggle fit are proven Giro features that round out the Nine.9. Giro will donate a portion of the White/Flames Nine.9 sales to benefit the fight against breast cancer through the Boarding for Breast Cancer Foundation. The Nine.9 is TuneUps compatible. -Vendor

CLOSEOUTS . Snowsport athletes are sure to appreciate the performance-focused features and sleek look of Giro's Nine.9 helmet. It's lightweight, vented and comes with a unique goggle notch designed to be compatible with Giro goggles. Lightweight construction with 12 topside vents for excellent air flow Removable vent plugs control temp In-mold polycarbonate shell Comfortable, contoured EPS lining can be removed for easy cleaning Goggle notch Meets ASTM F2040 standards for safety Weight: 14.2 oz. (size L) Material: In-mold polycarbonate shell, EPS lining with 12 vents Made in China Available Colors: MATTE BLACK, TITANIUM, WHITE. Sizes: 2XL, L, M, S, XL, XS.

- Sierra Trading Post

Giro Nine.9 Helmet

The Nine.9 Helmet has been discontinued.

The Giro Nine.9 Helmet is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 27, 2011 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new snowsport helmet, check out the best reviewed current models.