GoLite Adrenaline 20

After a full year with this bag I am glad I made the…

Design: Mummy
Fill: 800+ down
Temperature Rating: 20F
Weight: 2lb 5oz Long (on my scale)

After a full year with this bag I am glad I made the purchase. This bag may not be for everyone but it works well for me. The top side, 1/2 half length zip was my struggle in purchasing the bag. Would I like it? Well yes and no...

First the good. This bag packs down so small that I can fit it and my insult mat max thermo easily into my sleeping bag compartment. Actually in September in Yellowstone I also fit my puffy coat in with it. I read somewhere in a review that there was no stuff sack with it but that was not true with mine. My main reason for this purchase was to find the smallest packing, lightest 20 degree bag I could find. It pack as small as some 40' bags. Its weight and size are very hard not to like.

The cut- I like the slim cut in the legs but some may not. It is slimmer in the legs than any other bag I have owned. This help insulation work efficiently but when coupled with the 1/2 length top zipper getting in it requires a little wiggling or scooching. If you need leg room consider this.

Temperature rating- In Yellowstone I woke up with a half frozen nalgene on a Bechler river trip. I do not carry a thermometer so I can't tell you the overnight low. Safe to say it was below freezing. I found the bag to be warm enough sleeping in long johns and a turtle neck.

Top and bottom panels- By adding water resistant panels above your head and around your feet you get protection where you need it (mostly- see below) and saves weight and stiffness through the mid body.

Venting- As a side and back sleeper I love the top center zip for venting when full insulation power is not needed. Also as a side sleeper the lack of a side zip means I'm not laying on it or getting a draft from a draft tube leak. This I really like. If you are a side sleeper you know what I mean

The not so good- I would make 2 changes to this bag.

Length- I am 6'5" and the long is just a bit snug in length. The hood seems shallower than my other bags. If the hood has deeper the length would be ideal.

water resistant panels- I am sure that additional waterproof panels around the hood and face opening would add stiffness and perhaps not as comfortable but on the coldest nights you breath condensation can dampen that area pretty well. A little morning sun and it was all set but I noticed enough of it to be a concern on the coldest nights.

Overall - The high end, small packing 20' down bag has lots of choices these days. You can spend a whole bunch. I do feel I got my moneys worth here. I chose the tradeoff of the 1/2 zip and while not ideal, it is more than livable. If you have multiple bladder calls at night maybe you won't like it as well.

It packs VERY small and weighs very little. It lofts nicely, the zipper does not snag, and allows for fast and light travel. If you are 6'6" note the length comments, the manufacturer claims that is the length it will fit but at 6'5" I'm not sure where you'd put that extra inch without compressing down and getting cold feet. Also remember for high moisture areas that only the feet and hood are moisture repelling fabrics (the gray in the pictures).

I love mine and would reccomend it as long as you know what you are getting.

Visit GoLite's Men's Adrenaline 20 page.

The centerpiece of the top rated sleeping bag collection by Backpacker magazine,Outside magazine and Mountain Bike magazine.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

After you spend hours on the trail, lay your ragged body into the GoLite Adrenaline 20-Degree Down Sleeping Bag.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. GoLite Men's Adrenaline 20 Degree Sleeping Bag (Fall 2009) - BACKPACKER 2008 EDITOR'S CHOICE The Men's Adrenaline 20deg Sleeping Bagby GoLiteis a premium 800-fill goose down, 20deg sleeping bag that offers superior warmth, unmatched comfort and versatility, coupled with lite-weight construction and a male-specific fit. The waterproof Pertex(R) Endurance Arid Zones(TM) at the head and foot of the bag protect against condensation in critical areas. A trimmer mummy shape offers a closer fit with warmth efficiency and the half-length top zip provides the most efficient core temperature regulation. Specs: Rating: 20 deg F | -7 deg C

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

The GoLite Adrenaline +20 sleeping bag packs down small, and at just over 2 lbs. (regular size), it's lighter than most other 20degF bags. European Norm (EN) is an independent third-party temperature rating, allowing accurate comparisons across brands with other EN-rated bags. Trim design and toasty insulation of this 3-season GoLite bag minimize weight and enhance warmth for a light load and good night's sleep. Partially recycled polyester shell sports waterproof Pertex(R) fabric at the head and foot of the bag to resist condensation. Premium 800-fill-power goose down is extremely compressible and offers exceptional warmth for its weight. Differentially cut, 6 in. baffles distribute insulation evenly to reduce potential cold spots. Soft, partially recycled polyester microfiber lining is comfortable against the skin and wicks away moisture. Half-length, center front zipper with insulated draft tube is lighter than a full-length zipper and provides easy temperature regulation. Contoured hood and insulated neck collar with drawcords seal in warmth. Comes with a waterproof, recycled nylon stuff sack and cotton storage bag.

- REI refers to the men's version

GoLite Adrenaline 20

$370.00 (men's)

The GoLite Adrenaline 20 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 8, 2013 at GoLite.com.