GoLite Chrome Dome Trekking Umbrella

This umbrella is a lifesaver for desert hiking. It…

Summary

This umbrella is a lifesaver for desert hiking. It provides both shade and sun protection and I can't hike without it now that I've experienced it.

Pros

• Well built
  • Light
  • Multi-use (rain, shade, cooling in the heat)

Cons

• Needs to be replaced after a summer of daily use
  • No simple way to attach to my pack
  • Light, but still an extra half puns to carry
  • Doesn't hold up to high winds

The first time I hiked in the southern California desert I was in complete misery. The sun was relentless but I wore long pants, long sleeves, and a hat with a skirt for sun protection. I was hot and uncomfortable and had no escape from the sun.

When I ventured into the desert the next year, I bought a Chrome Dome to accompany me. It was a game changer. I still was fully covered for sun protection, but could remove my hat while using the umbrella and had a constant respite from the burning sun with the shade my umbrella created. The umbrella can also be used in light rain instead of pulling out my rain jacket. I don't think I can ever hike again in the desert or even exposed mountain ridges without the Chrome Dome.

The downsides is that it is an additional piece of gear that I have to carry and I still have not found an ideal way to clip it onto my pack so I end up carrying it and then can't use my trekking poles at the same time. Other hikers have found working solutions, so maybe it has to do with my particular pack. I'm pretty minimalistic with my hiking gear but this umbrella is worth the trouble to me.

I'm on my second umbrella now, the first was retired after four months of daily use. A nice feature Golite has built into the umbrella is that if wind whips it around and tries to turn it inside out, the material will slide off the frame so only the material will whip around and the frame remains intact. Then you can slide the material back on the frame. I think this extends the longevity of the umbrella.

Nice review, Eli. I would be interested in seeing pictures of this in action.

GoLite Chrome Dome Trekking Umbrella

The GoLite Chrome Dome Trekking Umbrella is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 16, 2014 at GoLite.com.

If you're looking for a new accessory, check out the best reviewed current models.