GoLite Jam 35L

Great pack for a one or two day trip. I bought the…

Summary

Great pack for a one or two day trip.

Pros

• Pretty roomy for its size

Cons

• Not suitable for loads over 30 lbs
  • Not really for cold weather backpacking

I bought the medium and it fits me perfectly (5'6"). Hip and shoulder straps adjust well. Pack carries nicely when loaded. I had about 25 lbs. in it for an overnight in cold weather (Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double hammock, extra cord for tarp ridgeline and food bag, cook gear, misc. items (headlamp, hygene, small flashlight, etc.) spare clothes, sleeping bag, tarp, down jacket, Kelty Cosmic 20-degree down bag, tyvek ground sheet, food bag) and it was stuffed to the gills. Didn't have to carry water because we camped near a river.

It's a rucksack-type pack with no top lid—the top rolls down and cinches with a strap and buckle like a dry sack. I happen to like this style a lot. There's compression straps on the sides and some smaller adjustments (with shock cord) for making the pack smaller for day hike use). Two large elastic side pockets for water bottles or extra gear, and two zip pockets on the hip belt. There's two ice axe or trekking pole loops on the bottom which came in handy to tie on a rolled Ridgerest mat (I hadn't gotten my hammock underquilt yet so needed this underneath).

The pack is well-made and appears to be pretty sturdy. I'll probably have it until my legs give out.

I would say that this pack is best suited to warmer weather use when a lot of insulating gear is not required. I've realized I will now have to buy a bigger pack for cold/winter backpacking to accomodate the extra gear needed, and for when I must carry water.

As you can see in the photo below, I had that pack filled to the brim!

BB8.jpg

cvitter

Very good review. I have been debating whether or not the 35l is large enough or if I need to get the 50l model for 1 and 2 night trips (mild weather). Thinking that 35l is probably better at this point...

Linda Navroth

In mild weather when you don't have to carry so much warm stuff and also when you don't have to carry all your water in. If either of these are the case, I'd def go larger. This will be a GREAT pack for summer.

The GoLite Jam 35L is a great pack for day hikes,…

Summary

The GoLite Jam 35L is a great pack for day hikes, single-night trips, and ultralight backpacking. It is simple, lightweight, and comfortable. Definitely a great purchase. There are a few negatives to the product, but the positives outweigh them by a landslide.

Pros

• Extremely light
  • Super durable fabric
  • Comfortable for long hikes
  • Visually appealing

Cons

• Can be hard to pack

One of my favorite things about this backpack is that it has everything you need, and nothing you don't.

The only issue I really have with it is the drawstring opening to the main pocket. This opening makes the pack be more like a tube, making it difficult to pack efficiently.

It's easy to overlook that issue though, because everything else about it is great.

GoLite Jam 35L

The GoLite Jam 35L is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 29, 2014 at GoLite.com.