GoLite Jam2

The Jam2 is one of three packs in GoLite’s Ultra Series, designed for the core ultra-light customer. The Ultra packs (Ion, Jam2, and Pinnacle) offer maximum comfort at minimum weight for minimalist fastpackers, thru-hikers, backpackers, peak baggers, climbers, travelers, and day hikers.

An upgraded version of GoLite’s Jam Pack, the Jam2 is now available in men’s and women’s versions and has increased capacity. An ultra-light, multi-day pack, the Jam2 is designed for light and ultra-light backpacking, fastpacking, alpinism, winter day trips, rock and ice climbing, and summit bids. It features a roomy front pocket with watertight zipper, foam back pad, cord lock to secure the top, top compression strap, two angled side mesh pockets, ice ax loops, two side compression straps, a haul loop, and 3-liter hydration compatibility.

The Jam2 uses GoLite’s ComPacktor system, which lets you reduce the pack’s volume through two fixed compression anchor clips that convert a multi-day pack into a day-tripper.

Use light and ultra-light backpacking, fastpacking, alpinism, winter day trips, rock and ice climbing, summit bids
Women’s available in Small and Medium
- Capacity 2800 cu in, compacts to 1100 cu in
- Weight 1 lb 3 oz (540 g)
Men’s available in Medium and Large
- Capacity 3000 cu in, compacts to 1300 cu in
- Weight 1 lb 5 oz (600 g)

Great ultralight pack for long-distance hiking, or…

Price Paid: Bought new on sale approx $100

Summary

Great ultralight pack for long-distance hiking, or carry more moderate loads for a weekend trip without adding extra pounds to your back. Rated to carry up to 35 pounds, and does so well. I love this pack!

Pros

• Ultralight

Cons

• Not a lot of pockets/compartments (must be organized!)
  • Back panel has started to bend during use

About me:

I am a 30-year old woman with lots of outdoor experience. I hiked about 500 miles of the PCT in southern California in 2009, but had to leave the trail for physical as well as financial reasons. Since then, I have made it my mission to complete the PCT in sections. Unfortunately, I can only use my allotted vacation time from work, so it's slow going.

I bought this pack after my thru-hike attempt and wish I had had it back then! I've since used it on three summer solo trips ranging from about 65-85 miles in northern and southern Oregon. This is the fourth pack I have used/owned...I have been gradually reducing my pack weight over the years, and I think this is pretty much the perfect pack for me.

Fit:

I am 5'9", about 160lbs and the women's medium fits me well. I think mine is a 2010 model, which I purchased in 2011 on the recommendation of the store employee who told me that the newer models do not have a padded hipbelt. While this would save weight, I prefer the comfort of the padding. The straps are all a bit long for me, but that's no big deal. I can always cut off the excess if I want. It looks like GoLite is no longer making this pack men's- and women's-specific.

Comfort:

Since there is only a thin foam back panel, this pack doesn't have the venting capability of some heavier packs with complicated frames and airflow systems. However, the mesh back panel serves its purpose as well as one could expect. The straps adjust easily and are comfortable. The only issue I've had is when I was wearing a shirt that didn't cover enough of my shoulders and the mesh on the shoulder straps rubbed a little.

Capacity:

This is an ultralight pack, in the smallest capacity offered by GoLite (except day packs), so don't expect it to haul your big tent, three cooking pans, 15° synthetic-fill sleeping bag and gourmet meals for a week. But if you can pack reasonably light for a short trip, or have your gear list down to the essentials, you could do a long trail with this pack. I have loaded it with gear and food for about a week. I was hitting its 30 pound capacity with full food and water, but it held up well and carried the load comfortably.

Organization & accessibility:

Ultralight packs are light on excess pockets, straps, etc., so you won't find a sleeping bag compartment or a lid here. You need to be able to organize your gear well to efficiently pack the main compartment and large (but flat) outside pocket. There are two stretch fabric water bottle pockets on the sides and two hipbelt pockets for snacks and essentials. You can also get creative strapping things to the sides and top with the compression straps. It does have ice-axe loops and an internal water bladder sleeve and hose ports on both sides.

Ride:

The load distribution all depends on how you pack it, but if you do it well, it carries comfortably up to its weight rating. The load stays close to your back, so it feels very stable - it's not up over your head like some larger packs (especially those with large lids). After some use though, I have found that the foam back panel insert is warping, which can be a little uncomfortable. It does not have load-lifter straps, which would be nice, but I don't think they're essential because the load sits low enough on your back that you don't really need that adjustment.

Compression:

Adjusting this pack to fit different loads is easy. Just roll down the top a little or a lot, and use the side and top straps to keep your load stable and secure.

Durability:

I don't think I'm super hard on my gear, but I have pushed this pack to its capacity and it shows no signs of failing. It has handled abrasion well too.

Overall, I love this pack and recommend it to anyone looking for an ultralight women's pack!

This is my first backpack and I bought it sight unseen.

Design: top-loading, internal frame
Size: 2450ci
Number of Pockets: 2 side pockets, 1 front pocket, 1 hydration sleeve
Max. Load Carried: 20 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'2"

This is my first backpack and I bought it sight unseen. I got the small; my torso measures 16 inches. I'm 5'2" with a bad back.

I loaded up this pack with about 20 pounds of gear and went on an eight mile hike with 2700 foot elevation gain; my first moderate to strenuous hike of the season. I found the pack to be extremely comfortable; resting on my hips as it should. The hydration pocket is right against the back so that was nice and soft instead of being poked by other stuff.

With the compression straps I was able to cinch those tighter after lunch and make the pack smaller; what a terrific feature! It's an overnight pack AND a day pack! I was a little leery about buying such a lightweight pack, but the material is super tough and the design is such that it does not flop around if not full. I slipped my trekking pole through the top and bottom loops; it never shifted, poked me, or came loose.

I absolutely LOVE this pack; it truly felt like I wasn't wearing one! I'll be going on an overnight in three weeks and will report back on how it performed fully loaded then.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Jam2 versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there are 5 reviews for other versions of the Jam2. Read all reviews »

The GoLite Jam2 Pack is what every fast-packer dreams about. Made with super durable Dyneema gridstop, it features foam padding in the back and hip belt wings for support, and Brock foam padding in the spacer mesh shoulder straps for long-lasting comfort. Store items you want quick access to in the large front pocket with a watertight zip and two side angled stretch mesh pockets. Reduce excess pack room as your trip goes on by utilizing the two side compression straps and the comPACKtor system. At only 1 lb 9 oz, your back will be thankful you've gone ultra-light.

- CampSaver.com

On Sale. Free Shipping. GoLite Women's Jam 2 Backpack (Fall 2008) The Women's Jam 2 Backpack by GoLite is what every fast-packer dreams about. Made with super durable Dyneema gridstop, it features foam padding in the back and hip belt wings for support, and Brock foam padding in the spacer mesh shoulder straps for long-lasting comfort. Store items you want quick access to in the large front pocket with a watertight zip and two side angled stretch mesh pockets. Reduce excess pack room as your trip goes on by utilizing the two side compression straps and the comPACKtor system.

Extremely light and durable, the GoLite Jam2 Backpack for Women is a water and abrasion resistant ultra-light pack that can withstand the rigors of backpacking and mountaineering. Designed for the ultra-light minimalist, the Jam2 is built with a comfortable foam back pad and hipbelt and lined with 3-D spacer mesh for excellent breathability and moisture wicking performance. A top-loading, roll-down design allows for the lightest possible design and still offers storm protection while a large front pocket offers maximum convenience at a minimal weight.

- Altrec Outdoors

The Jam is for the minimalist who needs maximum comfort at minimum weight with incredible durability and handy features. Perfect for backpackers, thru hikers, climbers, travelers and day hikers. The shoulder straps, torso and hip area are narrower for women's-specific fit.Ultra lightS shaped back panelComfortable foam back padSpace mesh shoulder straps with Brock foam paddingAdjustable sternum strap3 Liter Hydration compatibleCord lock to secure top closureIce axe loops with lightweight elastic cord and pack system for closureTwo side compression straps with quick release bucklesTop compressionCompaktor systemHaul loop and dual hook and loop fixed compression system addedRoomy front pocket with watertight zipperTwo angled side mesh pockets with elastic top binding.

- Campmor

CLOSEOUTS . The lightweight, versatile GoLite Jam 2 backpack expands to more than double the capacity when extra gear space is needed. Spacious top-loading main compartment Drawcord spindrift collar expands to increase capacity Interior hydration sleeve (reservoir not included) Roomy front pocket with two-way zipper Ice axe/trekking pole loops Two side bottle pockets Side compression straps Air mesh back panel Air mesh shoulder straps with Brock(R) foam padding Adjustable webbing waistbelt with two zip pockets Waistbelt: Adjusts to 43 Small: Fits torsos: 15-1_2 to 17-1_2 Dimensions: 19x8x7 (27 expanded) Capacity: 1050 cu.in. (2450 cu.in. expanded) Weight: 1 lb. 7 oz. Medium: Fits torsos: 17-1_2 to 19-1_2 Dimensions: 21x8x7 (29 expanded) Capacity: 1100 cu.in. (2600 cu.in. expanded) Weight: 1 lb. 9 oz. Material: Dyneema(R), nylon Made in Vietnam. Visit our Backpack Guide

- Sierra Trading Post

GoLite Women's Jam2

The Women's Jam2 has been discontinued.

The GoLite Women's Jam2 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 31, 2013 at CampSaver.com.