GoLite Kinetic Jacket/Vest

This is my first soft-shell garment, and it's the…

This is my first soft-shell garment, and it's the real deal. It's amazing how versatile it is, and how wide my comfort range has expanded in it. I've worn it on warm winter days, cool spring days, on the lake fishing with a stiff and chilly wind, you name it. It breathes so much better than a conventional shell-type jacket that it's almost like wearing fleece, yet blocks wind beautifully and even sheds light rain. It's truly ideal for almost any condition. Haven't tested it out in a downpour, but then, it's not really designed for that.

I tried this and a similar product from Arc'teryx (the Theta something-or-other, I think), and found the GoLite to be a slightly better fit for my frame (5'11", 210 lbs, broad chest--I got the XL). Comfort is simply astounding. It moves with you like a second skin, and the outer fabric seems very durable. I perspire quite a bit, but it breathes better than any water-repellent jacket out there, by far.

My only "complaint" is that it is bulkier and heavier than a pure rainshell. However, since it is so versatile, I don't feel the need to bring even-bulkier fleece on most hikes, nor a full rainsuit unless I'm expecting really wet weather. It's as close to a "do-it-all" piece of clothing that I've ever experienced. I'm really wanting the Xirtam now, which IS supposedly waterproof, to round out the collection.

Free Shipping. GoLite Men's Kinetic Jacket/Vest (Fall 2006) The Kinetic Jacket/Vest by GoLite is award-winning that features 98% windproof, breathable Polartec Power Shield combined with Power Stretch panels in the shoulders, underarms and sides where you need excellent freedom of movement. The Kinetic also features zip-off arms for easy conversion from a jacket to a vest. Water repellent and designed for an athlete s physique, this jacket is made to move!Features: Combines the lightest Polartec Power Shield from Malden Mills available (exclusively from GoLite) with a durable water repellent (DWR) finish and Power Stretch for water repellent windproofness and dynamic comfort 70% strech polyester/30% nylon in a liteweight 4.9oz/166g/m2 total fabric weight including membrane Extremely water-repellent, 98% windproof, breathable multi-sport jacket Fabric patterns ergonomically designed and placed for dynamic comfort and mobility Zip-off sleeves convert jacket to vest #3 coil one-way reverse zips for enhanced wind resistance Trim-fitting, aero-dynamic cut 7 in/18 cm front chest pocket Weight: L 15 oz / 430 g

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

For fast-forward sports in cold and wind, the award-winning GoLite Kinetic jacket/vest features 98% windproof, breathable Polartec Power Shield combined with Power Stretch panels in the shoulders, underarms and sides where you need excellent freedom of movement. The Kinetic also features zip-off arms for easy conversion from a jacket to a vest. Water repellent and designed for an athlete's physique, this jacket is made to move. The Kinetic won the 2004 Backpacker Editor's Choice Award. Vendor

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

GoLite Kinetic Jacket/Vest

The Kinetic Jacket/Vest has been discontinued.

The GoLite Kinetic Jacket/Vest is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 2, 2009 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.