GoLite Lair 1 Shelter

This was my first tarp! Low cost, easy to set up,…

Design: 3 season tarp
Ease of Setup: EASY!
Weight: 12 ounces with my modifications

This was my first tarp! Low cost, easy to set up, and pretty darn light. I enjoyed the fact that it can be set up with three sides flush to the ground. This keeps out rain splash way better than a simple rectangle tarp suspended off the ground.

The sides sag in the rain, as do most silnylon tarps, so I sewed on lifters that added a bit of weight but pull the sides out nicely. Also had a friend sew on a beak over the front opening, which helps keep blowing rain out. The stakes that come with this are junk; get some titanium ones. Trekking poles would be perfect to use as poles, but I always just use sticks from the forest.

Lots of modifications, but I now have a bomber little tarp. I've carried it on the PCT, the CDT and the Colorado Trail. Still going strong. If money wasn't an option I'd replace it with something lighter like a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter or a MT Laurel Designs Patrol. But I'm a cheapskate so I'll keep this gem until it falls apart. GoLite doesn't even make this anymore, but you can find it online.

GoLite Lair 1 Shelter

The Lair 1 Shelter has been discontinued.

The GoLite Lair 1 Shelter is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 25, 2008 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.

DeLorme inReach SE Review