GoLite Z -10 Four-Season

A spectacular sleeping bag. Packable, light, and unbelievably…

Summary

A spectacular sleeping bag. Packable, light, and unbelievably warm.

Pros

• Warm
  • Packs down small
  • Pertex shell
  • Full-length zipper
  • Zipper doesn't snag
  • Cost

Cons

• Difficult to stuff

In every review I try to find good things and bad things to say. I had a hell of a time coming up with anything bad to say about this sleeping bag.

I am a very cold sleeper.  I've tried all the tricks: eating prior to sleep, hot water bottles in the footbox, layering, blah blah blah.  I just sleep cold.  I have never been anything but toasty warm in this sleeping bag.

The Z-10 is somewhat constricting for me, but I'm a sprawler and a thrasher.  If it wasn't moderately constricting it'd lose insulation value so I can't really knock it for this as it's a personal thing.

With its full-length double zipper, the Z-10 is very easy to get into and out of.

The Z-10 has a pertex shell.  Don't worry about sneezing on it.  It's also a down bag.  For the love of god, keep it out of that creek.

The only bad thing I have to say about this bag is that it's a bit of a pain to stuff into the provided stuffsack.  It can be done, but it lofts so well it can be a struggle to get it all in there.  However, if this is a major selling point for you, I'd recommend giving up backpacking and spending your time playing pinochle.

The zipper rocks.  It's simple, effective, and doesn't easily snag.  It's also a double zipper so you can create a vent hole all along the side of the bag if you get too warm.  I never get too warm, though it's nice to know the option exists.  You can also unzip the entire bag and use it as a quilt, though at 3 lbs, that is one seriously heavy quilt.

This is a new product so I can't really comment on durability, though the bag seems very well constructed.

It's cheap.  For an 800 fill -10 degree rated bag, $400 is a steal.

I've used this bag during winter/spring 2013 in the Colorado mountains.  I like it so much I have taken to standing on my front lawn, holding it in the air and cheering/screaming "wahoo!" at passing motorists.