GoLite Z -10 Four-Season

A spectacular sleeping bag. Packable, light, and unbelievably…

Summary

A spectacular sleeping bag. Packable, light, and unbelievably warm.

Pros

• Warm
  • Packs down small
  • Pertex shell
  • Full-length zipper
  • Zipper doesn't snag
  • Cost

Cons

• Difficult to stuff

In every review I try to find good things and bad things to say. I had a hell of a time coming up with anything bad to say about this sleeping bag.

I am a very cold sleeper.  I've tried all the tricks: eating prior to sleep, hot water bottles in the footbox, layering, blah blah blah.  I just sleep cold.  I have never been anything but toasty warm in this sleeping bag.

The Z-10 is somewhat constricting for me, but I'm a sprawler and a thrasher.  If it wasn't moderately constricting it'd lose insulation value so I can't really knock it for this as it's a personal thing.

With its full-length double zipper, the Z-10 is very easy to get into and out of.

The Z-10 has a pertex shell.  Don't worry about sneezing on it.  It's also a down bag.  For the love of god, keep it out of that creek.

The only bad thing I have to say about this bag is that it's a bit of a pain to stuff into the provided stuffsack.  It can be done, but it lofts so well it can be a struggle to get it all in there.  However, if this is a major selling point for you, I'd recommend giving up backpacking and spending your time playing pinochle.

The zipper rocks.  It's simple, effective, and doesn't easily snag.  It's also a double zipper so you can create a vent hole all along the side of the bag if you get too warm.  I never get too warm, though it's nice to know the option exists.  You can also unzip the entire bag and use it as a quilt, though at 3 lbs, that is one seriously heavy quilt.

This is a new product so I can't really comment on durability, though the bag seems very well constructed.

It's cheap.  For an 800 fill -10 degree rated bag, $400 is a steal.

I've used this bag during winter/spring 2013 in the Colorado mountains.  I like it so much I have taken to standing on my front lawn, holding it in the air and cheering/screaming "wahoo!" at passing motorists.

Premium 850 Fill power goose down Arid Zones(TM) with waterproof-breathable fabric at the head and foot of the bag protect against condensation in critical areas Pertex(R) Quantum GL nylon ripstop shell is water repellant yet breathable Finished with DWR Mummy design Hood closure is optimized through use of stable cording and shock cord Down insulated draft tube eliminates cold leaks through side zipper Insulated draft collar prevents warm air from escaping Full length 2 way zipper for venting and mating of bags Side zip features reversible slider tabs for ease of use from the inside and outside of the bag Trapezoidal foot box design allows feet to rest in their natural position Lightweight webbing on each side of zipper to prevent snags Hang loops for drying and storing Waterproof stuff sack and breathable cotton storage sack Please be careful: Ultralight fabrics are designed for specific uses and require special attention.

- GoLite.com

GoLite Z -10 Four-Season

The GoLite Z -10 Four-Season is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 8, 2014 at GoLite.com.

If you're looking for a new cold weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.