Cozy warm interior... on still days. Roomy fit allows…

Price Paid: $59.99 (on sale and new-customer discount)

Summary

Cozy warm interior... on still days. Roomy fit allows for bulky liners or chemical warmers.

Pros

• Soft and cozy interior
  • Durable leather exterior
  • "Waterproof" and "Windproof"
  • Easy gauntlet cinch
  • Wide enough for chemical warmers or bulky liners

Cons

• Finger tips get cold in high winds
  • Not quite long enough (see above)

Overall, this isn't a bad mitten. It's super cozy and soft feeling on bare skin and the gauntlet is easy to cinch down, even when wearing a mitten. I have very long fingers and sized my glove according to finger length, not palm width. The result was a mitten that has a lot of room around the palm; great for wearing bulky liners or popping in a chemical warmer on top of a thin liner. The leather palm and reinforced areas make the mitten appear pretty durable but I've only had it for a few weeks.

One thing I noticed is that my fingers extend pretty far into the mitten. While out strolling on a back country road when the temperature was -1°F but the sun was up, my hands actually started to perspire slightly. However, later that night when the temperature dropped lower and the winds picked up, my finger tips were getting painfully cold. The insulation does overlap well at the tips so, if you have long fingers, your finger tips may get *much* colder then the rest of the hand.

I was comparing these to the OR Alti Glove. The Alti glove was able to keep my entire hand and fingertips warm in the same conditions, while these mittens really only kept my hand warm, not my fingertips. Of course, I was able to get these for about half the price of the Alti gloves, so for they money they are still a good bet.

I have not yet tested them in really wet conditions. Based on my limited experience, I would suggest oiling the leather before taking them out. As supplied from the factory, the leather wicked up moisture much faster than I was expecting. The membrane did its job and kept any moisture from getting through to the insulation, but it made for a heavier mitten. A good waterproofing oil (I like Obenhauf's LP) should take care of it.

20180111_213234.jpg
20180111_213222.jpg

Tom, I would really like to see some pics of this mitt. Cold hands are my bane!

Nice review, Tom. Sounds like you got these for a decent price. I'd also love to see some pictures.

300winmag

Thanks for the review. That's actually a very good price for that quality of mitten shell. I use OR GTX shells over either my Dachstein boiled wool mittens or EMS double layer fleece mittens. Both have been tested at -40 F. and are very warm.

300winmag

BTW, I highly recommend getting the Dachstein boiled wool mittens as liners for your Gordini shells. VERY warm and durable.

Tom Schmit

Thanks 300winmag for the recommendation. I'll take a look at those wool mittens. I've added some pictures of the mitts. It's not obvious from the outside, but the insulation forms two "pillows" on the top and bottom of the hand. The tapered end of the pillows meet at the finger tips, and I think that is why the tips get cold.

Thanks for the pics, Tom.