Gossamer Gear Squall Classic

I have been using the Squall Classic since 2007 and…

Design: 3-Season
Ease of Setup: Incredibly Easy
Weight: 1.7 lbs (with seam seal)

I have been using the Squall Classic since 2007 and in its present condition I should be able to get quite a few more years use. For anyone questioning its durability, I can say without a doubt that with proper care there is nothing to fear.

My wife and I hike with two Australian Shepherds. The fact that this 1 1/2 pound tent has the room to handle two people and two medium sized dogs week after week is a great testament to its durability. I am sure this will be the tent that I carry on my PCT hike in 2012.

My wife and I use the Squall Classic nearly every other weekend all year long. Fall and Winter is our most active time in the wilderness. We live in Washington State so we end up camping during rain and snow quite often and other than normal condensation have remained dry and comfortable every time. Out of all the countless single wall tents I have used the Squall Classic has not been as susceptible to condensation as the others.

PROS:
1. Quick and easy to set up.
2. Lots of room inside.
3. Packs small.
4. Incredibly light for its size.
5. Durable.
6. Well ventilated.

CONS:
I can't really think of any. However, there are a couple things I would like to add to the tent.

IMPROVEMENT IDEAS:
1. Tab on the outside of the front apex of the tent so you can run a tight down to a tree or something and eliminate the use of the front pole if you want.
2. A hook inside so you can hang a light.

I've been using my Squall for two seasons now - prob…

Design: Three Season
Ease of Setup: Ridiculously Easy
Weight: 1.5 lbs

I've been using my Squall for two seasons now - prob 18 to 20 evenings - in all types of conditions, including a couple of blizzards.

The Squall is terribly easy to set up and seriously takes just a couple of minutes for one person. I use one of my trekking poles as the front pole.

It is very spacious, especially if you use the two side pull-outs. I have spent comfortable evenings with another person, all our gear, and my two large dogs.

The only drawback is that the Spinnaker cloth can be noisy when there is significant wind.

Gossamer Gear is proud to announce this co-production with Henry Shires and Tarptent. The Squall Classic is Henry's original Squall design. It was tweaked for weight reduction and a bathtub floor was also added. The final result is this amazing two person shelter that weighs about a pound and a half including stakes (4), lines, rear pole, and stuff sack!

The canopy of the Classic is made using our time tested spinnaker sail cloth. It is light, waterproof and has the added advantage over other fabrics of NOT stretching or sagging when wet or damp - minimizing or eliminating the need to get out and re-tension the lines. This iteration of the Squall comes with a rear hoop pole and utilizes a trekking pole in the front or an optional front aluminum tarp pole. The Classic is optimized for ventilation with mesh front, rear, and side panels and is accessed by a zipper in the front mesh. Use for three-season full floor and bug protection for two, or a palace for one on long distance hikes, or if looking for super easy setup.

Gossamer Gear Squall Classic

The Gossamer Gear Squall Classic is not available from the stores we monitor.