Gossamer Gear ThinLight 1/8" Insulation Pad

Weight 1.9 - 2.1 oz (54 - 60 g)
Dimensions 19.5 x 59 x 1/8 in (50 x 150 x .318 cm)
R-value ~.45

A little thin for use as a sleeping pad by itself…

A little thin for use as a sleeping pad by itself (for me), this shines when used in addition to the Gossamer Gear torso length pad. On most nights I tuck my empty backpack under my feet at night to provide a little insulation from the cold ground. In frosty conditions I carry a small square of this material to be used under my feet and legs as I sleep. Works great! This is not for cushion and comfort, this is merely to stop conductive heat loss. So simple, so light. Nothing to break, pop or leak.

I took this 1/8" pad on a 10 day trek on the John…

I took this 1/8" pad on a 10 day trek on the John Muir Trail in August 2008. I intended to use it for a bit of ground insulation, but I ended up using it for a lot more.

We all want to get comfortable when taking a break on the trail, but often that is hard to do. Sharp rocks and pine needles, pebbles, etc. -- ouch. The answer: this pad.

I packed it at the top of my pack, folded up, and grabbed it whenever I took a break. I would sit on it or lie on it: instant comfort. It took a bit of wear and tear from this use, but that's OK -- better wear and tear on it than on me.

At only about 2 oz., this is a no-brainer. My base pack weight was about 19 lbs., not including food and water (but including a bear canister), and the pad was a very welcome addition.

I'll use it again next summer when I finish up the JMT.

Gossamer Gear ThinLight 1/8" Insulation Pad

The Gossamer Gear ThinLight 1/8" Insulation Pad is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new closed-cell foam sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.