Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp

Summary

The Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp is a HUGE hammock tarp with a 14.8' ridgeline. Being so large, the coverage is phenomenal, keeping this hammock hanger dry in even the hardest wind-driven rain.

The extra large size and numerous tie out points allows for reconfigurations not normally associated with a diamond shaped tarp (see the video included in this review).

Pros

• Lots of tie-in points
  • Easily reconfigured
  • Full coverage in all weather conditions
  • Can put 2 hammocks under this is milder conditions

Cons

• Not an ultra-light tarp

The Funky Forest Tarp is not my lightest tarp, but it is the one I carry on multi-day trips. With a 14.8' ridgeline, I am ready for anything mother nature has to throw at me. (For a size comparison, check out Derek Hansen's pictures over at The Ultimate Hang: http://theultimatehang.com/2013/03/hammock-tarp-coverage-comparison/ )

10156150_10152056692586129_6225636202812
The Grand Trunk is in the foreground and pitched steep to deal
with hard winds. Note how much larger it is than the ENO FastFly
in the background.

You can do so much with this tarp, because it has so many optional tie-ins. I've used it as a wall, simply to deflect winds while cooking. It can be brought in low and anchored down in heavy rains.

Here is my cold weather configuration:

Credit goes to Derek Hansen over at http://theultimatehang.com/
for the origami design that I started with and modified slightly.

There are lighter tarps out there, but as I did my research, I kept coming back to all this tarp offers. Great tarp!

Have you owned or used a Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp? Share your experience »