Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock

The Ultralight Hammock is just that, ultralight. It…

Summary

The Ultralight Hammock is just that, ultralight. It is durable as well as portable, and would be great for backpacking. I highly recommend it for smaller people looking for a very light hammock at a very low price.

Pros

• Very affordable ($20 at most retailers)
  • Very light
  • Packs small

Cons

• Small
  • Does not come with straps
  • Thin material

The Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock is a great hammock to keep around all the time. As a college student I keep it in my backpack, ready to sling it up for a nap any time. I've taken it on several camping and hiking trips, and it's extremely easy to set up as long as you have two anchor points.

I bought this hammock for $20 off Amazon.com one year ago. The first thing I noticed when unpacking my hammock is how compact it is. It's very light, at just 12oz, and it packs into an attached 7"x4" stuff sack.

It does not come with hammock straps or rope of any kind so you will have to buy your own. I bought several feet of paracord to set it up with, which is nice because it is strong, light, and can fit inside the stuff sack with the hammock. However it is dynamic rope, which is not ideal for hammocking.

The hammock is hung by two s-hooks, which, unlike carabiners, have no gate. I was initially afraid that I might somehow spin the hammock off the rope, but even the hammock's own light weight is enough to keep it hanging. If you are worried about this it would be fairly easy to replace the s-hooks with carabiners, but I have not found it necessary.

The material is very thin, which worried me a little initially, but I have had no issues with tearing or puncturing after a year of moderately heavy use. Simply keep it away from sharp objects and sparking fires. It is also very small, less than 5' wide and only about 10' from end to end. I am 5'9" and I can fit comfortably, but I do not recommend it for anyone 6' or taller. It is only rated to hold 250 lbs, but I have fit two people in it, weighing around 300 lbs all together. It was very crowded to say the least and I don't recommend it for more than one person on a regular basis.

Overall I have been extremely satisfied with this purchase. It has its limitations when it comes to size, but it more than makes up for it with its light weight, small packing size, and most of all its extremely affordable price. At $20 this is a steal.

Welcome to Trailspace, Nathan. I would advise against paracord. Besides being stretching, the tensile strength is quite low. I'm surprised you haven't snapped a line yet. I would highly recommend tree straps with Whoopie Slings http://dutchwaregear.com/amsteel-whoopie-slings.html (Dutch isn't the only one making these, but he makes good stuff.)

1 month ago
Nathan Bird

G00SE, thanks for the link! I have been meaning to get some static cord for my hammock. I haven't had any problems with 550-paracord yet but that's probably because I don't normally put my hammock taunt.

1 month ago

This hammock does its job. Lightweight, durable, and…

Summary

This hammock does its job. Lightweight, durable, and well worth the $20 price tag.

Pros

Super quick to set up. Be sure not to be too far off the ground so you don't lose heat through conductivity. I save money by just using this and a Mylar blanket. Fine in temps of low 50s provided you're dressed appropriately.

No problem in the rain (light drizzle). I used the waterproofing spray and wrapped myself up and stayed dry. Used on 20 or more hikes and still going.

This is my security camp. Even if I plan on using a tent this goes, every time.

It's an okay hammock for just hanging around, but…

Summary

It's an okay hammock for just hanging around, but not something that I would sleep in. The material is not as good as ENO.

Pros

• Easy to setup

Cons

• Hooks instead of carabiners

The hammock is very easy to setup and use, especially if you have the ENO Atlas straps. The material and stitching isn't as good of quality as ENO, but overall it's a decent hammock.

It was light and easy to pack and durable. I used…

Source: bought it used

Summary

It was light and easy to pack and durable.

• Easy to pack

Cons

• You had to lay in it diagonally

I used this on a backpacking trip. It was an easy setup and tear down.

I didn't like that I had to lay diagonally in it, but for the price I couldn't beat it. An ENO hammock, if you can afford it, is more comfortable for sleeping in.

Perfect starter hammock. If you are looking for a…

Summary

Perfect starter hammock.

• Compact
  • Affordable

Cons

• S hooks

If you are looking for a compact, lightweight, affordable, and well made hammock... look no further. This is a great hammock you can throw in your bag whether you are going to the beach or on a backpacking trip. Super easy to set up.

The only downside is the S hooks that come with it. They work great, but they don't have clips and are a touch heavy... but other than that, this is great buy!

Extremely inexpensive intro hammock that seems to…

Summary

Extremely inexpensive intro hammock that seems to have a very solid design. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a way to launch into hammock camping.

Pros

• Stuff sack sewn to hammock

Cons

• S hooks are heavy and need to be replaced
  • No cables or hardware for hanging
  • Very thin

Just like most hammocks, this item is extremely easy to setup if you have the right hardware (whoopieslings!).

The key thing to keep in mind is that this is an ultralight, ultra thin hammock. Be extremely careful with the care of this item as it has been known for some people to split down the middle.

My hammock is still operating fine after a few months use.