Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock

Very well constructed lightweight hammock. This hammock…

Summary

Very well constructed lightweight hammock.

• Easy setup
  • Compact

Cons

• Not very good for camping

This hammock weighs about 9 oz and packs down smaller than a football. I have slept in it before but I think a Hennessy or an ENO would be better for camping (personal preference) because I'm more of a tent person. However this hammock is great for naps or as a hammock chair or a seat off the ground in the woods.

Hi John. I'm curious, what specifically don't you like about this tent for camping?

John David Ancell

The ultralight version isn't as big as a double thus making it harder to lay diagonally. But personally I like a tent because I can sleep on my side and stomach easier.

Thanks, John.

John David Ancell

Your welcome, it's still great for naps or hanging around and relaxing, just not as great as I would like for a camping hanmock.

1 month ago

I highly recommend this hammock to beginning hammockers…

Price Paid: 20$

Summary

I highly recommend this hammock to beginning hammockers because it's affordable, and gives you an insight to whether or not you could be a hammocker. It's lghtweight, and packs down very small.

• Affordable

Cons

• Small

I recommend this hammock to anyone who wants to get into hammocking. Hammocking can be very rewarding, and easy to use. Sadly though, not everyone can sleep in a hammock, where others hang hammocks in their rooms because they sleep better than in their bed. Whenever someone says "Where can I get a hammock, and which one should I get?" I always point them straight to this hammock, and a pair of DIY Paracord straps. For  about 25$ you can get the straps and the hammock, and see how it works for you.

Set up is very easy with the Paracord straps that I recommend for beginners. All that you have to do is wrap the straps around the tree, and hook the hammock on the desired length o the strap. To make the strap buy a 50' section of Paracord, cut it in half, and tie knots about six inches apart by making a loop, and passing the end  of the rope through it. Caution, the straps I recommend for beginners do stretch significantly.

Like all hammock it's going to be a little wobbly, but your going to have to get used to getting in. It may seem weird at first, but you'll get used to it. When you're first starting out, I wouldn't hang higher than 18 inches off of the ground. Keep in mind, if it feel really small, it is. They do sell larger hammocks, but they are more expensive. I use the Eagle's nest outfitters Double nest.

The Ultralight holds up to 250 pounds, but I wouldn't recommend exceeding 200 lbs too much. It does hold a lot for how small it is. It weighs in at only 12 oz, and packs down to about the size of a grapefruit. It fits very nicely in just about any bag, purse, or even a glovebox.

I hope this review was helpful. Get out there and go try hanging for yourself!

Jonah, thanks for the review. I would caution against paracord for a couple of reasons. First, this is VERY hard on trees. A heavier person over an 8-hour sleep will dig that cord into the bark of the tree and possibly kill it. For this reason, I've "heard" some state and national parks are beginning to ban hammocks. Second, paracord is nylon and will stretch. Many rookie hangers wake up to find themselves touching the ground. For this reason, most hammock hangers recommend "tree straps." Quality straps don't stretch & the flat webbing is much kinder to trees. You can get them for around $7 from many vendors http://dutchwaregear.com/tree-straps.html. If you're in a rush, stop in the automotive department at Walmart and buy tie down straps (just ditch the racket). In any case, I would URGE you not to use or recommend paracord. Enjoy your hang!

Jonah Tyree

Thank you for your suggestion. I do agree, it can leave cuts in the trees. But, I've only seen it a handful of times, when I'm hanging on softwood trees like Cedar. On thinks like oak, and Elm (The trees I usually hang on) it leaves very little of a scar due to the trees being very tough. This is one of the reasons I do use straps. I use the adjustable webbing suspension made by Warbonnet. For the sake of budget, if you are using Paracord straps, and you don't want to hurt the tree, I have made a sleeve out of duct tape that goes around the strap, rests on the tree, much like the straps made by grand trunk. Thank you, "G00SE", for bringing this to my attention. Happy hangin' y'all!

The Ultralight Hammock is just that, ultralight. It…

Summary

The Ultralight Hammock is just that, ultralight. It is durable as well as portable, and would be great for backpacking. I highly recommend it for smaller people looking for a very light hammock at a very low price.

Pros

• Very affordable ($20 at most retailers)
  • Very light
  • Packs small

Cons

• Small
  • Does not come with straps
  • Thin material

The Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock is a great hammock to keep around all the time. As a college student I keep it in my backpack, ready to sling it up for a nap any time. I've taken it on several camping and hiking trips, and it's extremely easy to set up as long as you have two anchor points.

I bought this hammock for $20 off Amazon.com one year ago. The first thing I noticed when unpacking my hammock is how compact it is. It's very light, at just 12oz, and it packs into an attached 7"x4" stuff sack.

It does not come with hammock straps or rope of any kind so you will have to buy your own. I bought several feet of paracord to set it up with, which is nice because it is strong, light, and can fit inside the stuff sack with the hammock. However it is dynamic rope, which is not ideal for hammocking.

The hammock is hung by two s-hooks, which, unlike carabiners, have no gate. I was initially afraid that I might somehow spin the hammock off the rope, but even the hammock's own light weight is enough to keep it hanging. If you are worried about this it would be fairly easy to replace the s-hooks with carabiners, but I have not found it necessary.

The material is very thin, which worried me a little initially, but I have had no issues with tearing or puncturing after a year of moderately heavy use. Simply keep it away from sharp objects and sparking fires. It is also very small, less than 5' wide and only about 10' from end to end. I am 5'9" and I can fit comfortably, but I do not recommend it for anyone 6' or taller. It is only rated to hold 250 lbs, but I have fit two people in it, weighing around 300 lbs all together. It was very crowded to say the least and I don't recommend it for more than one person on a regular basis.

Overall I have been extremely satisfied with this purchase. It has its limitations when it comes to size, but it more than makes up for it with its light weight, small packing size, and most of all its extremely affordable price. At $20 this is a steal.

Welcome to Trailspace, Nathan. I would advise against paracord. Besides being stretching, the tensile strength is quite low. I'm surprised you haven't snapped a line yet. I would highly recommend tree straps with Whoopie Slings http://dutchwaregear.com/amsteel-whoopie-slings.html (Dutch isn't the only one making these, but he makes good stuff.)

Nathan Bird

G00SE, thanks for the link! I have been meaning to get some static cord for my hammock. I haven't had any problems with 550-paracord yet but that's probably because I don't normally put my hammock taunt.

This hammock does its job. Lightweight, durable, and…

Summary

This hammock does its job. Lightweight, durable, and well worth the $20 price tag.

Pros

Super quick to set up. Be sure not to be too far off the ground so you don't lose heat through conductivity. I save money by just using this and a Mylar blanket. Fine in temps of low 50s provided you're dressed appropriately.

No problem in the rain (light drizzle). I used the waterproofing spray and wrapped myself up and stayed dry. Used on 20 or more hikes and still going.

This is my security camp. Even if I plan on using a tent this goes, every time.

It's an okay hammock for just hanging around, but…

Summary

It's an okay hammock for just hanging around, but not something that I would sleep in. The material is not as good as ENO.

Pros

• Easy to setup

Cons

• Hooks instead of carabiners

The hammock is very easy to setup and use, especially if you have the ENO Atlas straps. The material and stitching isn't as good of quality as ENO, but overall it's a decent hammock.

It was light and easy to pack and durable. I used…

Source: bought it used

Summary

It was light and easy to pack and durable.

• Easy to pack

Cons

• You had to lay in it diagonally

I used this on a backpacking trip. It was an easy setup and tear down.

I didn't like that I had to lay diagonally in it, but for the price I couldn't beat it. An ENO hammock, if you can afford it, is more comfortable for sleeping in.

Perfect starter hammock. If you are looking for a…

Summary

Perfect starter hammock.

• Compact
  • Affordable

Cons

• S hooks

If you are looking for a compact, lightweight, affordable, and well made hammock... look no further. This is a great hammock you can throw in your bag whether you are going to the beach or on a backpacking trip. Super easy to set up.

The only downside is the S hooks that come with it. They work great, but they don't have clips and are a touch heavy... but other than that, this is great buy!

Extremely inexpensive intro hammock that seems to…

Summary

Extremely inexpensive intro hammock that seems to have a very solid design. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a way to launch into hammock camping.

Pros

• Stuff sack sewn to hammock

Cons

• S hooks are heavy and need to be replaced
  • No cables or hardware for hanging
  • Very thin

Just like most hammocks, this item is extremely easy to setup if you have the right hardware (whoopieslings!).

The key thing to keep in mind is that this is an ultralight, ultra thin hammock. Be extremely careful with the care of this item as it has been known for some people to split down the middle.

My hammock is still operating fine after a few months use.