Granite Gear Pulk Sled

I have owned a Granite Gear Pulk more than a half…

Price Paid: I forget. I don't think it was $600 but I did purchase it brand new from a store

I have owned a Granite Gear Pulk more than a half dozen years now. I love it.

I needed to get groceries from the truck to my remote location residence in the mountains. I tried a kid's plastic sled first, carefully "postholing" to step in the same step, holding the edge of the plastic sled, scooting the sled along.

My Akita was very interested in the proceedings. I thought there must be a better way, but, I admit my first thought was a skijorn harness for my dog and he could pull it. But I purchased a Granite Gear Pulk instead.

Maybe I could have purchased a skijorn harness for the Akita, anyway, and he could pull the Granite Gear Pulk and I could follow behind the proceedings with a drag rope to slow him down, or, keep the Pulk on course?

The fact is, I found out the Granite Gear Pulk pulls so easily I don't really notice it much. In fact, I exercise in winter by pulling it on the dirt and gravel road around the back of the lake. It pulls so nicely on rolling terrain like that. I don't think that road has more than a small portion at 2-3% grade.

I have MSR Evo Ascent snowshoes for more rough terrain but I haven't used the Pulk for rougher terrain, except for some easy winter camping.

I hope to do more winter camping now that smaller tarps, tents and tipis made for hunters, I guess, have small wood stoves.

I just like making a winter camp.

I have considered using it with the shorter "mountaineering" skis.

I have considered using cross-country ski wax products on the hull.

I have used 303 Aerospace Protectorant product on it, top and bottom and inside out, for protection from deterioration from the harmful UV. It looks practically new, showing no sign of wear except a little on the bottom.

I do avoid dragging it over rocks or on gravel.

If you've owned or used a Granite Gear Pulk Sled, please share your experience.

Granite Gear Pulk Sled

The Granite Gear Pulk Sled is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 12, 2011 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new sled/pulk, check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 7.65 kg / 16 lb 14 oz