Granite Gear Stratus Latitude

This is the most AWESOME pack I have ever had. I hike…

Source: bought it used

Summary

This is the most AWESOME pack I have ever had. I hike around 1000 miles per year on trails like the AT, PCT, NCT, etc... I go out for weeks at a time and in the summer every other week is spent hiking. This pack is EVERYTHING that the description says it is and can do. It definitely can carry 50lbs without you hardly noticing it. Its accessibilty is amazing and its ability to carry everything you need despite the season is without words. I can't believe they even bothered to make another design after this one. As far as I am concerned this pack is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. Check it out in use on my youtube channel "FixedByDoc"...

Pros

• Roomy but adjustable
  • Comfortable at any weight load
  • Fits like a glove

Cons

• Would like to see it back on the market
  • No cons to speak of about this pack

This pack can carry as much or little as you need. I take it on overnights and week-long trips. It supports your back and hips by easily dispersing the load any way you want it to. I have broken my back in six places and neck in two places and this pack makes it possible for me to hike in comfort once again.

I couldn't believe the company even considered discontinuing this model as they broke the mold making this one. If you need a do it all and go anywhere style pack look no further. I would pay double the price for this pack if I had to buy it again.

The side pockets are just the right size for a 2qt army style canteen to fit in perfectly. The compression straps on the front allow you to strap on your tarp to dry off when wet which is really important to me as I am a hammock camper. The side straps allow me to attach my shovel and other accessories when needed.

I use Granite Gear dry sacks to seperate/organize my gear on the inside so when I open it up I can get to just what I need without disturbing the rest of the backpack. I can easily pack my spring-summer-fall gear with ease and in the winter I use a pulk sled and this pack to haul loads for up to 12-day excursions in the wilderness.

You can see this pack in use on my youtube channel "FixedByDoc" along with a couple thorough reviews of it and of some modifications I have made to it. I also show my gear I pack into it for my trips to show its amazing capacity to carry everything you want it to.

This pack is also highly water resistant which the company description left out. I rarely have to use a pack cover for it in the rain unless it is a heavy long term downpour.

I highly suggest this pack and no other for everyone whom it fits. I have a 19inch back size and it fits AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE. I have the size REGULAR for 18-22 size backs. The hip belt is removable and therefore replacable along with the shoulder straps. I got this pack second hand from a local store called "SwitchBack" in Marquette Michigan.

Very nice pack. Fits perfeclty, and if it doesn't,…

Design: Front Loading
Height of Owner: 5.9
Price Paid: Can't remember

Very nice pack. Fits perfeclty, and if it doesn't, you can exchange parts to get a better fit. And men, gotta love the zipper/compression system. Altough it looks like it would not hold very well, let me say that I've really stuffed this baby and yet it held perfeclty. And with all the stabilization and compression straps, you can get it to really feel like its part of you.

With the Stratus Latitude's 3D molded composite Tepex frame and the Light Pack Exoskeleton Belt, this pack can easily support 50 pound loads with amazing comfort and it has the capacity to swallow up lots of gear, like 4-season tents, sub-zero sleeping bags, warm clothing and enough food to go unsupported for a week. Bring it on!

- SunnySports

CLOSEOUTS . Designed for extended backcountry journeys, the Granite Gear Stratus Latitude 4800 backpack can easily accommodate a four-season tent, sub-zero bag and plenty of food, and features a 3D molded Tepex frame for outstanding load stability. 3D Tepex molded composite frame flexes horizontally and vertically to follow the natural curves of the back Cruise Control dynamic load stabilizing system Front panel loading for easy access Dual-density back padding Beefy, well-padded exoskeleton waistbelt Two lateral zips for full front panel access to pack Internal compression straps secure gear Front compression straps for lashing gear externally Internal hydration sleeve with shock cord compression Stretch water bottle pockets Ice axe loops Internal frame Waistbelt: Adjusts to 49" Short: Fits torsos: 14-18" Dimensions (HxWxD): 29x11x7-1_2" Capacity: 4400 cu.in. Weight: 4 lb. 10 oz. Regular: Fits torsos: 18-22" Dimensions (HxWxD): 32x11x7-1_2" Capacity: 4800 cu.in. Weight: 4 lb. 14 oz. Material: 70 denier ripstop nylon, 210 denier Cordura(R) nylon Made in Vietnam Visit our Backpack Guide Available Colors: RIBBON RED. Sizes: SHORT, REG.

- Sierra Trading Post

Weighing in at less than five pounds yet easily capable of hauling a 50-pound load comfortably, the Granite Gear Stratus Latitude belongs to a new generation of lightweight AND functional multi-day backpacks. Ultralight packs can only carry minimal loads (20-30 pounds), and they don't necessarily carry them in the most comfortable manner possible. Yet plenty of backpackers need a pack that will hold 50 pounds and that's built with beefier fabrics to hold up to the rigors of a harsh environment. Granite Gear's indestructible 3D molded Tepex frame provides incredible support and a solid fit. Other cool features on the Stratus Latitude include a front-panel loading system that opens from the top or bottom for easy access to anything in the pack (compression straps hold everything in place when the zippers are open), hydration compatibility, and an internal zip-off lid. New this year are side pockets for snacks, compass, and layers.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Granite Gear Men's Stratus Latitude Light Pack (Spring 2009) Features for the Stratus Latitude by Granite Gear:hydration compatibleinternal lidinterchangeable beltinterchangeable shoulder strapstorso length adjustment on framesheetFabrics:210 D Nylon Cordura BodyStretch Woven Pockets & Zipper PanelSpecifications:Volume: 4800 Cubes [78L]Weight: 4lbs 14oz. [2.21 kg]Load: 50lbs [14kg]Suspension: TepexStyle: Latitude

With an innovative loading system, this lightweight, technical Granite Gear Stratus Latitude pack has 4,800 cubic inches of space for 4 seasons of gear! 3-D Composite frame sheet and harness system offers even load distribution and plenty of head room. Lightweight Tepex framesheet provides support for heavy loads without being heavy itself. Light Packer exoskeleton hipbelt design cups and evenly distributes the load over and around your hipbones. Dual-density foam lamination in shoulder straps and waistbelt effectively cushion the load and absorb shock. Front access panel zips open on both sides from top to bottom, and an internal compression system keeps pack contents stable and in place. Full-length Durastretch middle panel stretches and gives with the contents of the pack. Exterior compression system helps to compact your load and offers a convenient and secure place to hold exterior gear like sleeping pads. Interior compression system holds pack contents in place and compacts your gear. Double side compression straps and twin ice axe loops let you add still more gear. Internal lid pocket with foam bottom seat clips into place; comes out when you make camp so your essentials can be easily moved into the tent. Hydration-compatible design features reservoir pocket and drink tube exit port for on-the-go hydration (reservoir sold separately). Load range is 50 lbs. or less. Closeout.

Granite Gear Stratus Latitude

The Stratus Latitude has been discontinued.

The Granite Gear Stratus Latitude is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 18, 2012 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.