Granite Gear Vapor Flash

Weight 1.39 kg / 3 lb 1 oz
Capacity 52.5 L / 3200 cu in

This pack is lightweight. It's more of a minimalist…

Summary

This pack is lightweight. It's more of a minimalist or ultralight pack but still has nice features.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Nice looking
  • Deep water bottle pockets

Cons

• The bottle pockets are too high to reach when wearing the pack.
  • Needs at least one exterior pocket other than the lid for outerwear, etc.
  • The buckles on the adjustable shoulder straps tend to disappear into the holes of the lid. They're hard to get out.

I love this pack. Yes, there are some irritating negatives but overall the Vapor Flash by Granite Gear is a great, lightweight pack.

While researching ultralight packs this one caught my eye because it's sharp looking and had a decent price tag. Obviously it's going to be missing some of the pleasantries of heavier packs, but it does a great job on weekend trips.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like a frameless pack, but it is very very comfortable and actually breathes very well. My pack weight is around 21 pounds. I would suggest staying under 30 with this pack for peak performance.

I give it a 4 due to no exterior pocket, it comes with a hip belt that is almost too small for me 5'-10" 180 lbs, the Nalgene pockets are too high to use while wearing the pack, and the cinch straps just seem pesky.

It was a challenge for me to get two nights worth…

It was a challenge for me to get two nights worth of gear into this bag, but it did fit. Having to bring cold weather (below freezing) clothing/sleeping gear always makes it a bit more difficult. Plus I always pack like I'm going to get lost for two weeks and have to pull Survivorman.

I bought this pack for a couple reasons:

1. I love my Nimbus Ozone, and now stand by Granite Gear packs.
  2. I wanted a pack with larger top pocket that could also be used as a waistpack.
  3. It was the perfect size for my 1-2 night outings.

At 35lbs, with water (two 32oz bottles plus a bladder), I was a bit over capacity, but the suspension kept the load very comfortable and stable. I did have difficulties adjusting the top shoulder straps which run through the top lid. This and the frustration I had trying to use the lid as a waistpack were the only downfalls I've found with the Vapor Flash.

Visit Granite Gear's Vapor Flash page.

If your are counting your ounces, this will be great for haulin' your gear.

- GearX.com

CLOSEOUTS . A lightweight overnighter with tough Corduraand#174; nylon construction for harsh environments, Granite Gear's Vapor Flash backpack has a floating lid that converts to a fanny pack and the solid and stable Vapor suspension system. Available Colors: TIGER/SLATE. Sizes: REG, LONG.

- Sierra Trading Post

The Granite Gear Vapor Flash has been built on Granite Gear's award winning Vapor suspension. Vapor Flash is a simple yet comfortable pack with features like a floating lid that turns into a fanny pack for day trips. Granite Gear has taken the minimalist Vapor Trail and thrown in some comforts and durability that make the Vapor Flash a multi-use, multi-adventure pack.

- CampSaver.com

The Vapor Flash is simple yet elegant, tough yet comfortable, flashy yet clean. A top loader with a floating lid that turns into a fanny pack. The Vapor Flash is made using 210 denier Cordura nylon fabric throughout,for years of service. It's not the lightest pack Granite Gear makes but at just over 3 lbs, it's still ultralight. If your going ultralight, yet still need a pack for canyoneering, alpine or other harsh environments, this pack can handle it.

- SunnySports

Granite Gear Vapor Flash

The Granite Gear Vapor Flash is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.