Granite Gear Virga

This is a great ultralight weight pack for the money.

Source: Online sale.

Summary

This is a great ultralight weight pack for the money. Although it lacks a few features that I would like, it is a great pack for the money.

Pros

• Inexpensive

Cons

• Lacks storage features such as hip pockets and a mesh back pocket

I have for sometime wanted to try out a frameless pack, so when I found the Virga for a pretty good deal I snatched it up. So far I have been impressed with this pack.

I have used it on a 3-day trip and have to say I am impressed with its performance.  My pack for the 3 day trip weighed in at around 25 lbs, and the Virga carried this load very comfortable. The straps on the pack are very nice and provide a lot of comfort. This pack does not have a padded hip belt and this feature is not missed, I do however with there was some storage pockets on the hip belt.

The Virga has ample storage for a 3-5 day trip. The main body is 50L but the pack also has a very large extension collar that probably adds at least another 10L. The Virga has a great compression system that allows the user to carry all differenct size loads. However I do wish Granite Gear would have added some type of large mesh storage area that is used by many other manufactures.

These are great! I like a frameless rucksack (use…

Price Paid: What is behind me does not matter.

Summary

These are great!

Pros

• Customer service
  • Warranty
  • Overall function
  • Simplicity
  • Washable
  • Washable
  • Washable

I like a frameless rucksack (use foam pad for structure).  I consumed several of these packs thru hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail. They performed very well and are washable without any dis-assembly.

Note to Granite Gear: Your straps are better than most packs I have seen...  I want more padding and width in the straps (just a little). Also, most importantly, please reinforce the upper strap stitching with additional fabric patch and bar tack stitching or some other suitable fix.

If you've owned or used a Granite Gear Virga, please share your experience.

Granite Gear Virga

The Granite Gear Virga is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 7, 2014 at CampSaver.com.

Weight .54 kg / 1 lb 3 oz