Gregory Cassin

Prior to the Cassin, I had used an REI Cruiser (my…

Price Paid: about $120 in 1980

Prior to the Cassin, I had used an REI Cruiser (my first), then an Alpenlite external frame, then splitting time between the Alpenlite and a Lowe Expedition.  Once I used the Cassin, the Alpenlite and Expedition were never used again.  Mine was even fit by Wayne B. himself when he was introducing the pack at a mountaineering shop in Denver (can't remember the name) and fitting all those who purchased one.

It was the most comfortable pack I have ever used, and it is still the only multi-day size pack I own.  Even after 30 years, it is still fully functional, with no meaningful damage in spite of being set on the ground countless times, in and out of vehicles, and through many tumbles and falls, down hills and into creeks.

It has been up 26 fourteeners in Colorado, all of the volcanoes of Washington except Rainier, and countless other places. My sleeping bag in the bottom always stayed dry, and amazingly, none of the hardware has ever failed.

Although it was a luxury grade purchase at the time, based on its price, it has been the best or second best mountaineering equipment purchase I have ever made, second only possibly to my old, and still used, MSR X-GK stove.

I had only two minor complaints with it, but they are minor.  The idea of using the top pocket as a fanny pack was not really feasible, and the method of attaching the side pockets was functional, but somewhat lame.

It has stood the test of time, in spades.

A piece of equipment that passed the test of time.

Price Paid: $100+ USD approx.

A piece of equipment that passed the test of time. Say in the neighborhood of 30 years... and still looks good.

I took off the Gregory name as many a trail head, bus terminal, airport - folks strolled up and saw Gregory... started in looking it over. After I lost the name off of it, only a few strolled over. At least I know I get to keep it vs. lose it to one of many passers by.

Good quality and durability. Has had a fair amount of use and several hundred thousand car miles too. If the quality today matches that of the past... very nice...

I have the add-on side pockets (rust coloured with black bottom - don't notice the dirt much, until I stop to clean it up).

If you've owned or used a Gregory Cassin, please share your experience.

Gregory Cassin

The Cassin has been discontinued.

The Gregory Cassin is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.