Gregory Palisade Plus

For the most part, I am in love with Gregory packs.

Design: Internal
Size: 5050
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: ~35 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'5'' (female)
Price Paid: $229 (previous year's model)

For the most part, I am in love with Gregory packs. They are very high quality. After a number of years, my pack doesn't show any signs of wear whatsoever. I particularily like the pocket on the back of the pack - the "older" Gregory's like mine didn't come with hydration systems, so I put my big hydration system in the big pocket along with my rainpants and map. The V-compression straps on the side of the pack are wonderful. The sleeping bag compartment would be better with a U-shaped zipper, but I get by fine by simply not using a compression sack and shoving my sleeping bag in with the aid of the lower vertical compression/sleeping pad straps.

However, I have one problem with my pack when I am carrying a heavier load (above ~25 pounds): the hipbelt tends to slide down, and in order to keep it up I have to make it very tight. However, it still slips down, and when it does, it puts excessive pressure on my butt-muscles. Having this excessive pressure on my rear then causes severe pain within a half-mile. This problem became so bad during my last backpacking trip that I carried most of the weight on my shoulders the last day, which was much less than ideal. I then had to stop frequently to rest my shoulders. I think that my torso is shorter than the minimum torso size allowable for this pack. I bought a size medium and I think that I really need a size small; this may be the root of the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? My funds are low, so I don't want to have to buy a new pack if I can avoid it.

If you've owned or used a Gregory Palisade Plus, please share your experience.

Gregory Palisade Plus

The Palisade Plus has been discontinued.

The Gregory Palisade Plus is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.