Gregory Savant 58 Pack

First of all the "Weekend Pack" category is misleading.

Source: tried it in the store

Summary

First of all the "Weekend Pack" category is misleading. You can easily stay out longer. I almost didn't buy it for that reason and now I am glad I own it. It is also in my opinion a fairly lightweight pack, but definitely not ultralight

Pros

• Giant top lid!
  • Roomy and big back pocket without a zipper for storing poncho or items you want to grab quickly
  • The fit and comfort is incredible. I like that the hip and shoulder straps are not bulky, but super comfy.

Cons

• I wasn't sure if there was a water system slot. The little booklet didn't mention it. Then I saw a little blue rain drop and it took me a while to find the slot to slip the bag into. Now everything is fine.
  • Heard the side pockets are tight for water bottles. Well if you have water system then use that and use the pockets for your tent or poles.
  • The way the top closes and opens is unique. Until I saw a video from Thailand I was opening it the hard way.

The Gregory Savant 58 is a really nice fitting pack and it conforms to my back well. I am 5'10" and weigh 152 pounds. I feel great carrying it.

Definitely, the hipbelts and shoulder straps are well made using high quality foam. And taking off the pack and putting it on is also effortless.

I find the capacity adequate. If you look for a good lightweight tent and sleeping bag, which one should do if  the pack was larger. The pack is one compartment. So the sleeping bag would go in first since you won't be using it till you step up camp to sleep. I have compression bags so I can compress the sleeping bag very small. I also can hang my Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad outside close to bottom and the tent poles go in the side net pocket and it gets tightened with the compression straps which keep the load secure and stable.

The rain cover is also handy and conviently tucked underneath the big back pocket.

I haven't used it much but we are planning to go on the Mont Blanc Tour in August that takes about 11 days to complete the loop. You can free camp and there are refuges and huts where tasty food is served which means you don't have to take much food if you don't want to.

Hope my review helps.

I tested this new pack from Gregory for miles in the…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (return)

Summary

I tested this new pack from Gregory for miles in the rugged Ozark mountains. The Savant 58 is a medium sized 58 liter pack perfect for shorter backpacking trips. This backpack has some great features, but I had one minor complaint... the water bottle pocket. Find out more in my video.

Pros

• Nice suspension
  • Great storage features

Cons

• Water bottle pocket too tight