GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Bottle Cup

Weight 4.9 oz
Dimensions 4.20 in x 4.20 in x 3.50 in
Materials Stainless Steel

Solid bomb proof piece of equipment. Good cup. Would…

Summary

Solid bomb proof piece of equipment. Good cup. Would be a much better stove pot if there were a lid available and if it had volume makings — at least one cup and two cup measuring marks. As it stands though there really isn't many reasons not to use this, especially for the one-man cooker.

Pros

• Nests with water bottle
  • Nest with Svea 123 too!
  • Volume — 18 fluid ounces

Cons

• No lid available — must make your own
  • Lack of volume /measuring marks

Need a simple bomb proof cup/stove pot for boiling water? No reason not to consider or use the GSI Water Bottle Cup. My son picked one up, and I was suitable impressed, so I did the same. This cup fits my old pre-BPA free Nalgene bottles as well as fitting my newer BPA free Nalgene bottles.

I did discover it fits my Svea 123R stove as well. This cup has significantly more volume than the aluminum 0.4L pot that comes with the stove, which for me is a good thing. The Svea's pot is a bit small and has a separate handle. The GSI has a more useable volume and an integrated handle so there's nothing to lose.

There is room for improvement. This cup would be even better if you could buy a lid for it. As it stands you must make your own if you want a lid. The cup also lacks any volume markings and would be better if it had measuring marks for at least 8 fluid ounces/1 cup and 16 fluid ounces/2 cups/1 pint.

I’ve heard complaints that that the handle will get too hot to hold unprotected when it is used to boil water but that hasn’t been my experience. When boiling water in it over either a gas or alcohol stove, I've had no issues with using the handles with my hands unprotected. I just haven't experienced the handle getting too hot.

My daily use cup at home is a double walled stainless cup. It keeps coffee warm. The GSI isn't double wall because if it were it would make a poor stove pot. Being single walled stainless steel I feared the cup would be a lip burner, but it isn't. Probably has something to do with the rolled lip of the cup. Don't expect the GSI cup to keep a hot beverage hot for long, but it's still better than a plastic mug.

Being stainless steel, this cup is easy to clean too. A little sand or a square of a scratch pad and/or a rinse are really all that's needed.

I'd certainly recommend this cup for the water boiling, one-burner stove crowd. I'll continue using mine. If I lost it or somehow broke it, I'd quickly replace it with another. I just wish a lid was available.

Thanks for the review and recommendation, Bill. Got any pictures of your cup/pot you could share?

Fits over a 1L Nalgene + Fits over a 1L Nalgene bottle…

Price Paid: Don't remember but not too expensive.

Summary

Fits over a 1L Nalgene +

Pros

• Fits over a 1L Nalgene bottle

Cons

• Not as light as Titanium

Fits over a 1L Nalgene bottle but even better for me, it fits over my Optimus Svea 123 stove replacing the very small aluminum "pot" that comes with it. It now becomes both a cup and cooking pot when going solo.  Not the lightest combo but the most bullet proof!

Not non stick but can be scrubbed with sand/dirt to clean burned food if necessary.

Highly recommend if you want to save space and fit it over your Nalgene bottle or as I do, use it as a stove cover and pot/cup combo.  Be sure if you're buying it in a store that it fits over the Nalgene 1L bottle as they make a slightly smaller size that won't fit either stove or bottle.

This mug comes backpacking w/ me about 80% of the…

This mug comes backpacking w/ me about 80% of the time. It is a little heavy.

Heating up water and making small amounts of food like breakfast it works well.  The way it slips over a nalgene is very nice for space and it helps your water bottle slip in and out of side pockets on your pack. Handles do not heat up too bad except over the fire.

So it lost 1/2 star for weight that's all .

Can't ask for much more. Strong, relatively light…

Can't ask for much more. Strong, relatively light and stores around my 1 liter Nalgene. I can carry 2 in just a hair more space than a plain Nalgene bottle requires. It's also big enough to cook a small solo meal in if needed.

This is perfect for solo trips. It's big enough to…

This is perfect for solo trips. It's big enough to boil two cups of water, has handles long enough so you don't burn your fingers, is small enough to drink comfortably out of, is big enough to use as a bowl, and fits snugly around your water bottle so you don't lose space. It multi-tasks wonderfully, and will absolutely not break the bank.

This is actually two reviews. Why? Because for some…

This is actually two reviews. Why? Because for some weird reason, GSI was originally producing this in a size that in a diameter that would fit around the bottle of a standard 1L Nalgene. Then they decided to make it slightly smaller, just slightly; now, it won't stack with a Nalgene bottle. Who knows why; it certainly makes zero sense.

If you find one that will fit around the bottom of your Nalgene, 4.5 stars -- perfectly fine steel cup, good handholders, and a nice space saver.

If you find out the current model, 3 stars. Fine steel cup, but now it is taking up more space in your pack.