GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Mess Kit - 6 pc

Price Paid: upper 20's, I think

The only reason I didn't give this set 5 stars is that with the newer ultralight stoves with small supports it's a little hard to deal with. The pot and pan are just too wide and get unstable with much of a meal or boiling water in them. Otherwise this set has been awesome!

My wife and I bought it around 2001 and have used it on every backcountry trip since then, and it still looks like we bought it yesterday. The non-stick surface doesn't have a scratch, they aren't discolored, and they haven't bent under many, many times being crammed into a backpack (sometimes in our checked backpacks on plane trips) and lugged around the country.

We upgraded from plain stainless pots/ pans and have been very happy since we like to cook some pretty sticky, gooey stuff sometimes like fried fish, eggs, sauteed veggies, pancakes, rice and oatmeal. It usually only takes a little wipe with a paper or pack towel we use exclusively for that purpose. The mesh bag fits great also and the potholder works without a hitch. Bowl and cup are still with is as well.

I have been going solo and with friends who prefer to do their own cooking since we had kids, and have bought a Snow Peak Giga Power stove, so I am considering getting one of the smaller diameter pot/ pan sets for the lighter weight and better stability on a small stove.

Other than that,I would HIGHLY recommend the GSI set, actually I think I will be getting the new(er) GSI Soloist kit, so if that isn't testament to the company I don't know what is.

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Mess Kit - 6 pc? Share your experience »