GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist

About all a person needs for meals in the woods.

• lightweight
  • food doesn't stick
  • boils water easily

I have a 15-year-old 'billy set' made by GSI out of anodized aluminum. It was very similar to this upgraded model except that the top cup/pot was also aluminum (which sets nicely on top of the bottom pot as a lid), it was a little lighter, but the butterfly-wing style handles were a little harder to use. I am still using it to this day, but with this new set, it's nice to be able to mix and match.

This newer pot has a non-stick finish, which works great when cooking your noodle packets in the pot. The pot is also a lot easier to clean. If just boiling water, then either the old or new work about the same. I like the handle on this a lot better, but it does add some weight to the pot.

I used to use the old top pot as my coffee mug, but I find the new lexan cup to be easier to hold and drink from. On the downside, it can't be used to heat water. So sometimes I just carry both.

SO depending on how I'm traveling and who is with me, I find the combination of the old and new GSI sets to be great.

I ditched the folding spork as I found it flimsy.

And oh yeah, fuel canisters do fit inside this but be careful that they don't scratch the Teflon...I put mine inside a sock.

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist? Share your experience »