GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist

Love the pot, extras are iffy.

• Durable non stick
  • Weight

• Cost
  • Accessories

I really only bought this because it was on sale. I have never been into teflon but I'm on a little gear improvement/ lighten it up adventure and I figured I'd give it a try.

When I was looking at it in the store I was having these thoughts about the neat things I could do with it. Re-hydrate, cook, boil for tea/coffee and do it all with one little pot. It's great for that and pretty lightweight.

Teflon..... It's not my favorite thing but I'm taking a chance that the ease of cleaning up after re-hydrating or cooking some soup will make up for it. The radiance technology claims kind of sold me.. Hopefully it will hold up as advertised. I bought myself a titanium long spoon to go with it but will probably end up with a wooden spoon/spatula maybe some chopsticks or something.

I did a test boil with my pocket rocket set at 3/4 flame and boiled a pint of water for tea in 2 minutes 15 seconds using a coleman fuel canister. I was pretty impressed.

My gripes so far are with the little accessories and the plastic lid. I am NO fan of plastic. The spork is flimsy and not long enough to stir in the pot, the bowl is plastic and small. However the insulator sleeve is nice. Why they didn't include a separate sipper lid for the bowl is beyond me. Come on GSI, for the cost, it needs the sipper lid..

I do love the little water bag. A small sink is a GREAT accessory and one of the reasons I didn't return the kit.

Honestly, I think I'd have been happier with the stainless or Halulite Minimalist for the price. But impulse purchases are what they are. If GSI would offer this as just the pot and bag with a stainless or halulite lid for slightly less money it would be a better value IMO.

Would I recommend it? That depends on what you need. The pot is great IMO and if the teflon survives as advertised it will be amazing. If money isn't a huge issue for you and you would use the accessories elsewhere.. go for it.

If you're tight on cash, and you're not really into the plastic extras I'd save my cash for something else unless your really into the pot. Maybe contact GSI and see if they will sell you the pot separate.

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist? Share your experience »