GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System

After my last hike where my pack was way, way too heavy and I had a bum knee from, I was ready to upgrade my one pot/lid and canister stove outfit from the year 1992, and get something a little nicer.

I poured over the internet and discovered the Dualist cook system. The reviews I read said it could hold an MSR Pocket Rocket and canister inside of it and the whole 9 piece set and canister and stove weighed in less than my one pot and stove held together with rubber bands.

Everything I saw about the cook system looked too good to be true, but I took a leap of faith and ordered one before I got to hold it in my hands and see it for myself. Oh yeah baby!

I just got back from my first "ultra-light" hike and I took the Dualist. Even though for this hike I shed my pack weight by 15lbs. (It took two weeks for my knee to heal after my last overnighter) I have never had so much luxury on a trip. I owe it all to the Dualist. If you eat like a king, you feel like a king.

I was with a group who didn't go "ultra-light", and when they saw I was just bringing my daypack in November, they thought I was nuts. (I bought some other lightweight gear beside the Dualist) Then when we got to camp and I had a three course meal with a cup and a bowl left over for putting my trailmix in they realized that when you buy quality, you get quality.

Great pot, I loved the strainer feature for my Ramen noodles. (I poured the flavored water into my insulated cup for a hot drink), and clean-up was a breeze thanks to the pot holder/sink. I had plenty of fuel left in the canister thanks to the fast boil times, so I made the guys some hot chocolate.

Now those guys I went hiking with are limping with their bad knees to the nearest GSI dealer to pick up a Dualist for themselves.

Update: February 1, 2010

My review of the Dualist by GSI:

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System? Share your experience »