GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System

I used to use the old GSI pot set that had 2 pots and a lid. It worked well but for the same space in my pack I get 2 insulated bowls with lids and one pot with a see through lid.

With the old set I used to use the second pot as a bowl but being aluminum it drew the heat from the food so if you didn't eat quick it got cold before you finished. That is no longer a problem as the 2 bowls are insulated and both have lids that snap into place and have holes in them so you can put cocoa, coffee or hot broth in them and drink them without removing the lids.

Also the bowls come apart to make two insulated bowls and two non insulated bowls for the times when you need more than two bowls.

I don't use the sporks that come with it but it's a matter of personal preference more than anything else. The watertight stuff sack is handy at times for washing up after the meal. I don't use it that much but it is always there when I want it.

The lid for the pot has holes in it so you can use it as a strainer when cooking noodles or what have you. It comes with a little cloth pouch that you can put your canister stove in so it won't scratch everything up. The handle locks into place open and closed.

The only problem I have with the set is the little "pull tab" of a lid handle broke off. It could be repaired with a small piece of wire so it's not the end of the world just something that they maybe could improve on in the future?

All in all there isn't much to complain about with this set and a lot to like. Everyone who backpacks ought to have one in his pack!

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System? Share your experience »