GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System

Source: received it as a personal gift

Just right for two.

• size
  • durable
  • cost

• not ultra light
  • collapsible sporks

I backpack with my nine-year-old son, so I carry most of the equipment. This cook set has everything two need, a cup, bowl and spork each and a pot to cook in. The set is big enough to hold my stove and a small canister of fuel and fit into a water tight bag that is designed to be used as a wash basin.

I like that the cups have a neoprene sleeve so you can have a cup of hot chocolate made with boiling water and not burn your fingers from the heat. The pot itself has a hard anodize which is very durable and can stand up to  abrasive cleaning. The pot has a plastic top with steam vents that can be used as a strainer and the pot's handle folds onto the pot to hold the whole package together.

On the negative side, every time I extend the collapsible spork I'm sure it is going to break. If you think something is going to break you carry a spare and that is more weight. While this set isn't ultra light titanium, it doesn't cost like ultra light titanium.

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System? Share your experience »