GSI Bugaboo Cookset

I purchased two different Bugaboo cooksets. The small…

Price Paid: $35 - $55

I purchased two different Bugaboo cooksets. The small set came with a 1.5 and 2 quart pot, with lids that also worked as frying pans, for about $35. The large set came with 3 and 4 quart pots, and those lids also worked as frying pans, and cost about $55. Both sets came with an aluminum handle, a pair of hot pads, and a mesh carry bag.

Overall, both sets are great, and are very lightweight for their sizes. The sets I purchased will all nest together, making a set of four pots. For backpacking, I would recommend not taking the largest pot, unless it's needed for a large group (4 or more), because it takes up quite a bit of room and adds a fair amount of weight.

These sets came with an aluminum handle that clamps to the side of either the pot or the lid. It also came with a "hot pad" to place the hot pots onto when removed from the stove. The pots were easy to use and easy to clean, and with the lightweight and versatility, completely exceeded my expectations. In the times that I used them, they seemed very durable. For the reasonable price, I would recommend the Bugaboo set with no reservations.

I bought this set as a lightweight option to my Coleman…

I bought this set as a lightweight option to my Coleman Peak Stainless set. I was intrigued by the Teflon coating, light construction and the anodized exterior (mine is black-anodized, not enameled like the one in the picture.)

Pros: Lightweight, and improved heat transfer because it's aluminum. Nonstick

Cons: Thin and flimsy. Thin bottoms mean hot spots and scorching when cooking a meal. The pots bend easily when stuffed into your pack (but you can bend them back pretty easily too.) The handle is not secure when clamped on. I had to do some "field-adjustments" with my multi-tool to bend the tab on the handle to get a rigid grip. Also, I've only used this set a few years and the non-stick is wearing off.

It does the job adequately in the field, but I'm looking for a better alternative.

If you've owned or used a GSI Bugaboo Cookset, please share your experience.

GSI Bugaboo Cookset

The Bugaboo Cookset has been discontinued.

The GSI Bugaboo Cookset is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new pot/pan, check out the best reviewed current models.