GU Energy Gel

I have tried all the flavors of the GU energy gel.

Price Paid: $1.25 each pack

Summary

I have tried all the flavors of the GU energy gel. The one that tastes the best to me are the strawberry banana and the peanut butter. The chocolate is way too filling and the mocha (caffeine in the ingredients) make me feel way too thirsty during the run.

Pros

• Great size
  • Easy to open while running
  • Great for a boost before and during a running event

Cons

• Takes a little getting used to the tastes
  • Caffeinated packs cause a little more dehydration than usual

Just this year running has become a very successful hobby of mine. While training for my fist half marathon I used GU. The first flavor I used was strawberry banana. The texture was comparable to syrup. The next few flavors I tried were the caramel, mocha (with caffeine), vanilla and chocolate.

Although I tried the other flavors available strawberry banana seamed to taste the best. Vanilla would be my least favorite. Chocolate filled me up too much and mocha caused me to be a little more dehydrated as usual while running.

Immediately I felt the boost they provide as I took them while training. I felt like I was running harder and longer than usual which was amazing training. During the half I used one at the very beginning and one at the nine mile marker. The crash is not really noticeable for me.

This is the only product I have used as a pre and during cardio activities. I really have nothing to compare to it because they do extremely great for me. These packs are light and easy to open during the run.

Energy gel of last resort. Tastes like a mouth full…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Energy gel of last resort. Tastes like a mouth full of frosting.

Pros

• no sugar high crash

Cons

• taste
  • texture

Gu seems to be the best know brand of energy gels so they show up often at races. I've used these during races and have been given packages of them for training and have never had a problem with the formulation. They don't make me sick even on extended runs and they don't seem to cause a sugar high and crash.

What I really hate is the taste and texture, like a mouth full of cheap canned frosting.  In the cold it can be even thicker. I find myself putting off having a gel just because it isn't a pleasant taste.

Gu Energy Gel is one of the first gels out on the market and is still going strong with its simple boost of energy when out biking, running, or racing. GU offers natural fructose that goes straight to work building your energy levels back up while the maltodextrin is quickly absorbed and sent to your muscles. GU provides vital electrolytes to keep your blood chemistry and hydration stable. Tons of different flavors gives you options when out pushing your limits and provides the utmost in recovery while also giving you a boost to keep on going.

- RockCreek

When there is no time to slow down trust Gu's Chocolate Outrage gel packet to keep you going. Gu's gel delivers 100 calories for a long lasting energy boost for athletes in every sport and at every level. With carbohydrates, amino acids and electrolytes the Chocolate Outrage gel goes to work quickly and easily so that you never have to slow down. PRODUCT FEATURES: Carbohydrates - GU provides athletes with a dose of 100 calories in the form of 70-80% maltodextrin and 30-20% fructose (The ratio depends upon the flavor.). Why the mix? It s a complex carbohydrate, and studies have shown that some complex carbs are actually digested faster than simple sugars like table sugar and honey. Amino Acid Blend - GU features a unique blend of amino acids to combat muscle fatigue, accelerate the conversion of carbohydrates into usable energy, and maintain mental focus. Electrolytes - Sodium and potassium to replenish what is lost during strenuous activity. Caffeine - Some GU flavors are caffeinated while others are not. We add caffeine for two reasons: It acts as a stimulant and it lowers the perceived effort.

- Appalachian Outdoors

GU Energy Gel provides athletes with a shot of 100 calories in the form of a patented carbohydrate blend (70%-80% maltodextrin and 30-20% fructose) to deliver high-quality, easily-digested and long-lasting energy for athletes in every sport and at all levels. GU Energy Gel also includes electrolytes to ensure proper hydration, an antioxidant blend to stave off muscle tissue damage and an amino acid blend to delay muscle fatigue.

- CampSaver.com

A quick energy boost in a convenient, easily ingested form.

GU is a convenient, great tasting carbohydrate gel formulated to energize before, sustain during, and aid in recovery after training and competitions. Made with a unique blend of ingredients, GU provides: complex carbohydrates for sustained energy, amino acids to maintain muscle protein, antioxidants and muscle buffers to aid with recovery and GU's patented herbal blend for enhanced energy production. GU helps you feel and perform your best. GU's unique herbal blend combines the perfect fusion of herbs for energy-enhancement (cola-nut), anti-inflammatory (chamomile), and stomach buffering (ginger). GU contains 20mg (equivalent to 1/5 cup of coffee) per serving from cola-nut. All flavors have the same level of caffeine. The caffeine level in GU is not enough to give a "caffeine rush," but is added to help you utilize body fat as an additional fuel source during activity. Gu Energy Gel comes in ten flavors -- Tri-Berry, Chocolate Outrage, Espresso Love, Jet Blackberry, Lemon Sublime, Mint Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Mandarin Orange, Just Plain, Strawberry Banana, and Vanilla Bean. They come in a box of 24 gel packets.