Guyot Designs TapGuard

This is somewhat of a novelty item (and I love gadgets),…

Price Paid: MSRP

This is somewhat of a novelty item (and I love gadgets), so that's why I really purchased this item. But, the city in which I live also has terrible water, so it was worth the try for the price. It will enhance the taste of TAP water, IMO, but is it necessary? Depending where you live, maybe, maybe not...

Pros: Does enhance taste of water and removes medium to large particulates. Doubles as a splash guard. Can re-fill bottle without removing TapGuard.

Unfortunately, this good idea of a product is ill-conceived.

Cons: First of all, filters are always expensive. It tells you it will do a couple hundred liters, but the bags will not last that long. The bottom cap keeping the filter in place is not tight enough, thusly gravity pulls it open. It will taste like plastic for a while. My advice is to clean it when hot water and let is sit in water for a while. This will allow all those "manufacturing tastes" to leach out.

If Guyot redesigns this product, which they should because it would be quite easy to, I would recommend this. However, with its current design, I say wait till they improve upon it if you're interested in improving the often terrible public water.

If you've owned or used a Guyot Designs TapGuard, please share your experience.

Guyot Designs TapGuard

The Guyot Designs TapGuard is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 26, 2013 at REI.

If you're looking for a new hydration accessory, check out the best reviewed current models.