HammockGear Incubator 40°

Hammock under quilt that is well made and has a realistic…

Summary

Hammock under quilt that is well made and has a realistic temperature rating.

Pros

• Light
  • Packable
  • Flexible temp range

Cons

• None so far

I have switched to a hammock as my primary shelter after many years of waffling between it and a tent. Up until the past year, I used a Thermarest pad as my insulation in the hammock. Once I made the commitment to the hammock, it was time to upgrade my insulating capability to a down under quilt.

After reviewing all the options (and there are several), I purchased a Hammock Gear Incubator. This is an independent company (cottage industry) and the turn around time for the order was great.  The quality is superior and the under quilt is easy to put on my Hennessey Hammock.

My first trips were taken in the 60° range and the quilt was rated for 40°. It was comfortable up into the low 60°'s when placed on the hammock as it should be. As summer approached and temps rose, I was happy enough with the 40° Incubator that I purchased a 40° Phoenix (which is the 3/4 length version).

I took this several trips where the temp at night did not dip below 70° and all I had to do was to leave the quilt hanging a little loose and it also performed well. One of these nights, I went to bed with it fairly loose and the temps dipped to mid 60°'s. When I felt a little chill, I just got up and cinched up the quilt a little tighter and that was all that was needed.

Finally I have purchased the 20° Incubator for fall camping and finally got a night where it approached the temperature rating. Went to bed at 30° and woke up at 22°, warm all night.  I am not a "warm sleeper" either.

On top of the quality, ease of use, flexible temp ranges — I also had a stitching flaw on one of the quilts and HG fixed it and returned it very fast.  Dealing with this company has been nothing but a pleasure.

There are other under quilts out there that probably work well too, but IMO you cannot go wrong with making Hammock Gear your choice.

The ULTIMATE underquilt for guaranteed comfort... At 78 inches (198cm), the Incubator 40° is long enough to generously cover most hammock campers up to about 6’2”.  With 7oz of premium quality, 900 fill power Hungarian goose down, this underquilt will protect you in temperatures down to 40° and only 19.5oz packed! If you are looking for an underquilt that is light weight, hassle free and will allow you to enjoy your hammock on the chilly late spring/early fall nights, you have found it.

The Incubator comes with 9, anatomically contoured, differential cut baffles that run the length of the quilt. One of the things this construction technique does is to greatly reduce the shifting of goose down that is sometimes more noticeable in quilts made with premium goose down.  This is one of the reasons Hammock Gear quilts are always 15-20% overstuffed. The differential cut, contoured baffles also provide the highest level of fit which is critical to keeping warm.

The Incubator comes complete with our state of the art shock-cord suspension system, Nite-ize #2 plastic "S" biners, and a stuff sack.

Visit HammockGear's Incubator 40° page.

HammockGear Incubator 40°

The HammockGear Incubator 40° is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new under quilt, check out the best reviewed current models.