HawK VittleS Hash Browns with Eggs, Sausage, and Cheese

A simple, light, and filling breakfast for a reasonable…

Price Paid: $12 for two-person meal

Summary

A simple, light, and filling breakfast for a reasonable price.

Pros

• Filling
  • Easy to prepare

Cons

• Bland

The meal comes in a heat sealed package that you only have to cut the top off and add hot water until the contents are submerged. Stir and let sit for 20 minutes to rehydrate.

The meal consists of 50¢ size slices of potatoes in a sauce of egg, sausage and parmesan cheese. The meal rehydrates well and there are no crunchy bits if you mix well.

The meal was fine, very filling, but bland. I wish I brought a bottle of hot sauce or a little salt and pepper. The meal was mostly potato slices with no discernible egg or sausage other than binding sauce, this was much like a potatoes au gratin with an egg, sausage and cheese sauce.

The meal was very satisfying! No quibbles here, the serving for two could easily have feed three.

The packaging was minimal, just a heat sealed bag and a paper nutrition label.

I would recommend buying or making an insulating container for Hawk Vittle meals so all you have to do is boil water, put it in an insulated pouch, and wait to rehydrate. This will save on fuel keeping it warm while it rehydrates.

Thanks for the review, Tycho. As I tell my daughter, "Hot sauce makes everything taste better!"

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

I've been looking into this brand for a good long while, Tycho. Are there any meals in particular you'd consider your favorites, or the brand's best offerings?

Tÿcho

The Southwest Lasagna is large pieces of pasta and ground beef in a tangy tomato and ricotta sauce.

Jdawg

I was intrigued by your review so I checked out the website, because sodium is always a concern for me. The sodium content is high 766mg/serve, I saw one the country quiche was 1314mg/serve! Wow my kidneys puckered at that one.

Tÿcho

Backpacking always puts into focus our eating habits. I fill my 12 oz bowl with dinner and I think this doesn't seem like much and this needs salt. We probably eat too many calories and too much salt when we don't have to carry our food.

HawK VittleS Hash Browns with Eggs, Sausage, and Cheese

The HawK VittleS Hash Browns with Eggs, Sausage, and Cheese is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new breakfast, check out the best reviewed current models.