Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell

I have worn this shell in 40 mph winds, heavy rain…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (A blogger had a giveaway.)

Summary

I have worn this shell in 40 mph winds, heavy rain storms in Escalante and as a hard shell over my winter jacket. This shell came through with flying colors in every weather condition.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Windproof
  • Light weight

Cons

• Hard to get to underarm zipper
  • No mesh in the vents

When I was a child my parents would always buy me Hi-Tec shoes and boots because we were poor and their shoes were affordable. I have memories of kids in school making fun of me for wearing Hi-Tec. Most of the kids in my scout troop had the same dilemma, so when I won a Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell jacket last year I had some mixed emotions. It looked like a well-built jacket, but even though I am older now I thought if I wear this will I be ostracized by my peers?

I decided to try the jacket out at home to see if I could justify wearing it. The jacket is super comfortable and lightweight, I dare say it is even very stylish and well put together. This jacket is made of 100% polyester rip stop. The chest pocket is laser cut with a welded waterproof zipper. It has under arm vents and draw cords for the face, head and waist. It even packs down into a pocket making it easy for stuffing in your backpack.

I tried 3 times to test this jacket in the rain, every time I would put it on the rain would stop (you got to love Utah weather) I decided to jump in the shower and test it. Not one drop of water got through and the water just beaded right off.  This jacket quickly became my go-to jacket for wind and rain. I even convinced a few friends to buy one.

Over the winter I used this as my hard-shell over my Mountain Hardware Kelvinator for a few ski trips and several snowshoe trips. I went through trees and nothing ever ripped and I experienced 40mph winds in a snowstorm and heavy rain storms. The hard rain shell came through with flying colors in every condition.

Never again will I doubt the quality of Hi-Tec and will definitely buy their products in the future.

Visit Hi-Tec's Hard Rain Shell page.

Don't let the rain drive you inside, take on the elements with the Hi-Tec Men's Hard Rain Shell Jacket. Featuring Dri-tec for unbeatable waterproof, breathable performance, this ultra durable shell keeps you comfortable and dry from the inside out. With an attached hood and underarm ventilation, the Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell Jacket for men helps you take on the elements.

- Altrec Outlet

CLOSEOUTS . A waterproof breathable Dri-Tec membrane and fully sealed seams create the excellent weather protection of Hi-Tecand#39;s Hard Rain jacket. This lightweight, 2.5-layer jacket packs into its own pocket for easy packing. Available Colors: BAY LEAF/NOVEMBER, BLACK, ALKALINE. Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post

The Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell jacket is the perfect addition to any pack, and offers amazing protection from the elements. Ripstop polyester shell features Dri-Tec 2.5-layer waterproof breathable coating; seams are fully sealed. Hood features dual adjustments to customize the fit. Pit zippers allow cooling airflow as your activity heats up. Chest pocket and zippered handwarmer pockets for stashing small items. Drawcord hem and elastic cuffs keep the cold out. The Hi-Tec Hard Rain shell jacket packs into its own pocket for easy storage in your pack. Special buy.

Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell

The Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 2, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.