Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell

I have worn this shell in 40 mph winds, heavy rain…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (A blogger had a giveaway.)

I have worn this shell in 40 mph winds, heavy rain storms in Escalante and as a hard shell over my winter jacket. This shell came through with flying colors in every weather condition.

• Waterproof
  • Windproof
  • Light weight

• Hard to get to underarm zipper
  • No mesh in the vents

When I was a child my parents would always buy me Hi-Tec shoes and boots because we were poor and their shoes were affordable. I have memories of kids in school making fun of me for wearing Hi-Tec. Most of the kids in my scout troop had the same dilemma, so when I won a Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell jacket last year I had some mixed emotions. It looked like a well-built jacket, but even though I am older now I thought if I wear this will I be ostracized by my peers?

I decided to try the jacket out at home to see if I could justify wearing it. The jacket is super comfortable and lightweight, I dare say it is even very stylish and well put together. This jacket is made of 100% polyester rip stop. The chest pocket is laser cut with a welded waterproof zipper. It has under arm vents and draw cords for the face, head and waist. It even packs down into a pocket making it easy for stuffing in your backpack.

I tried 3 times to test this jacket in the rain, every time I would put it on the rain would stop (you got to love Utah weather) I decided to jump in the shower and test it. Not one drop of water got through and the water just beaded right off.  This jacket quickly became my go-to jacket for wind and rain. I even convinced a few friends to buy one.

Over the winter I used this as my hard-shell over my Mountain Hardware Kelvinator for a few ski trips and several snowshoe trips. I went through trees and nothing ever ripped and I experienced 40mph winds in a snowstorm and heavy rain storms. The hard rain shell came through with flying colors in every condition.

Never again will I doubt the quality of Hi-Tec and will definitely buy their products in the future.

Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell

The Hi-Tec Hard Rain Shell is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 2, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new waterproof jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

MSR Evo Ascent Review

Gregory Baltoro 65 Review

Weegie Weekenders

High Sierra Wheeled Double Adjustable Ski Bag Review

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?