Hi-Tec V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi

'Ultra' is probably not the best descriptor for this…

Summary

'Ultra' is probably not the best descriptor for this boot.

Pros

• Excellent fit
  • very good Vibram outsole

Cons

• rubber toe cap separates
  • not "waterproof"
  • poor outer finish

While we all need to acknowledge that there is no truly/waterproof boot (unless we go to 'rubber'), this boot with the eVent process hype is much less than advertised. This boot has a 'film' on the outer surface of the leather that wears off very quickly and allows water to permeate the leather just as with any other lightly or untreated leather.

I suspect it can be treated with Nik, Snowseal, etc but I haven't got around to that yet. The rubber toe cap is starting to separate from the rest of the boot and becomes a reservoir for water to enter. I hypothesize that the eVent in the leather prevents good adhesion with the glue for the toe cap.

The fit is 'classic' Hi-tec (the reason I got this boot); roomy, wide at the toe, and somewhat narrow at the heel for people whose feet look like diving fins (like mine).

I have had these Ultras for about 9 months and have worn them with my snowshoes and in the rain and have had them soaked right through in both cases. There is room inside the boot for a pair of Sealskin socks which is what I will take with me the next time I'm in wet conditions.

The Vibram outsole does not disappoint — it is grippy on dry and wet rocks and logs.

I'm writing this as my crinkled up wet feet recover…

Price Paid: $180.00 AU

I'm writing this as my crinkled up wet feet recover from another day in Hi-Tech boots. And all this from simply walking on wet ground...NOTHING MORE! No puddles, no creek crossing....just boring ol' wet ground.

They're crap and the company should be ashamed of themselves for charging $180 for them.

rated 1.50 of 5 stars All V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Hi-Tec Men's V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi, please share your experience.

Hi-Tec Men's V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi

The Hi-Tec Men's V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 3, 2014 at SunnySports.