Hi-Tec V-Lite Radar eVent Low

I picked up this shoe when I saw it on sale at a local…

Materials: Synthetic upper with eVent
Use: around town, dayhikes and backpacking
Break-in Period: 0

I picked up this shoe when I saw it on sale at a local shoe store. The prospect of an eVent shoe grabbed my attention and the fit and tread were attractive. After a wearing them for a few hours to break in, I realized that they really didn't need any breaking in. Since then, I've probably hiked about 600 miles or so in them. I've used them backpacking and dayhiking.

Since they are waterproof, they do not dry very fast at all. (I've got some non-waterproof Keens that I wear when during warmer weather when I know that the stream crossing will "top" my shoes.) The V-Lite Radars do keep the water out for rock hoping and shallow puddles with no problem, and the tread works well in mud and slick rocks. The shoe is flexible enough to reduce foot fatigue and holds my size 12 feet in place without worry.

After 600 miles, the upper is not showing much wear at all. The heel tread is showing some signs of wear, but that is hardly surprising for a trail shoe after 600 miles of hiking use. Most of my use of this shoe has been on the Appalachian Trail, the Smokies and similar type trails. (Lots of rocks, roots, briars, brush and streams basically.)

I'll not say that this is the most awesomest shoe ever made and everyone should get a closet full of them, but I would have no problem vouching for them.

In the 6 months I have owned this product, I have…

In the 6 months I have owned this product, I have had some problems. The rubber on the outsole is very thin and soft, and has worn through at the heel. The plastic loops that the laces are threaded through have very sharp edges and have almost shredded through the original laces.

One other problem: the topmost eyelets on the "Low" version of this product are poorly placed. There is just barely sufficient material on the upper to be able to actually use the topmost set of eyelets. I have found it difficult to keep the footwear securely laced on without using that topmost set of eyelets. Perhaps the "Mid" version of this product is better designed.

Personally, I would not buy this product again. However, for a more or less sedentary sort of activity - like, say, fishing from a boat - there might be a possible use.

Hi-Tec brings its successful V-lite concept to adventure sports in the Radar cross-trainers. One-piece, soft-shell uppers feature seamless construction to improve comfort and durability; heat-welded overlays provide lightweight structure. eVent™ technology allows perspiration to dissipate and vent to keep feet cool and dry. Exo-Skeletal thermoplastic urethane foot locking system provides 360° support whether running up a hill or across it. Moisture-wicking nylon linings further keep feet feeling dry and comfortable. Comfort-Tec Custom removable sockliners feature memory foam for custom cushioning underfoot; perforated for added ventilation. Tri-density EVA midsoles absorb shock, cushion feet and give gentle support; medial posts encourage a neutral gait. Stabila-Flex lasting boards provide much-needed stability on uneven terrain without adding much weight. V-Lite rubber outsoles offer solid traction on rocky, uneven ground. Closeout.

- REI refers to the men's version

Hi-Tec V-Lite Radar eVent Low

The V-Lite Radar eVent Low has been discontinued.

The Hi-Tec V-Lite Radar eVent Low is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 2, 2008 at REI.