High Sierra Col 35

This is a very nice pack that served us well on an…

Summary

This is a very nice pack that served us well on an overnighter. My 14-yr-old son carried this and he loved it.

Pros

• Small
  • Simple to use

Cons

• Securing the top flap

We used this pack on an overnight trip that covered about 7 miles. I was looking to put my son in a smaller pack and cut down on weight. This pack fit the job nicely. My son is slender and stands about 5'6".  The pack fit him very well and was very comfortable.

The capacity is 35 liters and weighed about 20 lbs. when we hit the trail. It was fairly full but we could have squeezed a few more items into it. The items were an ENO SingleNest, ENO Fast Fly, 40 degree Coleman down bag, 2 liter bladder, few extra clothes, food, rain gear, and extra rain fly.  It is a simple top load pack, 1 main compartment, 2 mesh pockets on each side, a pocket on the top lid, and a pouch on the bottom that has the rain cover stuffed in it.

The pack performed well and my son loved it. The fit and ride seemed good, it compresses nicely, seems to be of good quality. The top lid doesn't secure well because of the length of the straps. However, this was overcome by using the top compression strap over the outside of the top lid and did not cause any problems.

This was the first use of the pack and we love it so far.  Also, I bought mine at Dunhams, but it can be purchased on the web for $59.99.

More to come.

If you've owned or used a High Sierra Col 35, please share your experience.