Highgear Solar Pod

Weight 2.4 oz / 68 g
Dimensions 4.3 x 3.7 x 0.5 in / 109 x 94 x13 mm

This is a good looking device used best as a door…

Price Paid: $24.99 at SAC

Summary

This is a good looking device used best as a door stop. It does not charge. It has no functional use in the pack.

Pros

• Good looking

Cons

• Fails to charge

The only reason this even got the half star is it looks good. But it does not charge, it does not do anything. I was very disappointed in its lack of quality.

I followed the instructions and could not get it to charge up even halfway in the full sun of a Las Vegas summer day. As a result, I cannot trust it.

I could charge it off my computer at home, but I was really looking for something self-sufficient when I bought this and will have to keep looking.  As a result of it never charging, I have not gone further to test if it would be useful hooked on to a device to charge the device or run the device from the solar battery. I was just done.

FromSagetoSnow

All over the web this thing gets dismal reviews

1 year ago

I bought this solar charger in Wyoming while hiking…

I bought this solar charger in Wyoming while hiking from Mexico to Canada on the CDT. I used it to charge my cellular e-mail device and my I-pod shuffle music player. I found it to be a very robust design and it survived light rain and one accidental soaking in a spring overnight. (It's a long story) I did have to disassemble it to dry it completely after that.

The carabiner made it very easy to attach to the webbing on my pack and angle to get the best angle on the sun. I found it the panels battery to reach full charge in about a day and a half under sunny skies when I did not pay much attention to it. If I carefully angled it to catch the sun as I hiked it definitely seemed to charge quicker. Most of the time I just clipped it on my pack and ignored it until I needed a charge.. about once every three days.

I also carried the I-Pod shuffle's wall plug charger cube and found it charged the Solar Pod's battery in 1/2 hour while in town.

The Solar Pod charged my cell battery to half charge in 1 hour after which time the panel's battery was exhausted . It also fully charged my I-pod shuffle in 1/2 hour and still had juice to spare. If you are planning a long hike and want a bombproof backup power source in a compact design this solar panel might work for you.

I found this solar charger to be durable and useful for it's 5 ounce weight.

It came with a bunch of different power adaptors, most of which I chucked out as excess weight.

Sadly, even though I carried my Highgear Solar Pod from Wyoming to Canada, it got stolen from my pack on the plane ride home. Not only do I recommend this panel, I fully intend to get another one for my next long distance hike.

This was the first solar charger I tried for my cell…

Price Paid: Too much

This was the first solar charger I tried for my cell phone and mp3 player. It didn't work for either of them. I got my money back and bought a Solio Rocsta, which works great!

Solar charging panel - 75mA, 5.5V
Lithium-Ion battery 3.7V 650mAh
Fully charged in 8 hours in sunlight
Fully charged in less than 4 hours via computer USB
Protection circuit for full charge/discharge
Carabiner carry clip
LED to indicate charge and discharge
Battery status indicator

Includes: 2 Connector Cables: Cable to charge the solar charger by a computer (USB Port); Cable to charge relative phones or audio devices by connecting to the tips supplied with solar charger; 8 Connector Tips: Nokia connector with 2.5mm jack, Nokia connector with 3.5mm jack, ZTE phone connector, Motorola connector, Mini USB (Moto V3, Blackberry, MP3, MP4), Samsung Flat type connector, Sony Ericsson Wide pin connector, iPod and iPhone connector

The High Gear Solarpod is a convenient and quick way to give your electronics a quick boost of power any time you are away from power.Key Features:Fully charges in 8 hours in sunlightFully charges in less than 4 hours via computerUSBProtection circuit so that it will not overcharge!Carabiner carry clipLED to indicate charge and dischargeBattery status indicatorDIMENSIONS 4.3 x 3.7 x 0.5in/109 x 94 x13mm2.4 oz / 68 gIncludes 2 Connector Cables: Cable to charge the solar charger by a computer (USB Port)Cable to charge relative phones or audio devices by connecting to the tips supplied with solar charger8 Connector Tips: Nokia connector with 2.5mm jackNokia connector with 3.5mm jackZTE phone connectorMotorola connectorMini USB (Moto V3, Blackberry, MP3, MP4)Samsung Flat type connectorSony Ericsson Wide pin connector

- Campmor

Your solo wilderness trek may be amazing for you, but if you have a few people worrying back in the paved world, it's only courteous to bring along the Highgear Solar Pod to keep your phone charged. It could also come in handy for your other electronics because, in eight hours, the Solar Pod's panel uses the sun rays to charge its built-in lithium-ion 3.7V battery (650mAh). Then you can use that power to recharge a dead cell phone battery, MP3 player, camera, or other compatible device with one of the eight interchangeable connector tips.

The High Gear Solarpod Charger with Rechargeable Torch is a pocket-size wonder that taps into the unlimited power of the sun to charge small electronic devices. Works in full sunlight, partial sunlight or artificial light; unit will disperse power for up to 40 min. after approximately 8 hrs. in the sun. Rugged, waterproof construction works in both high and low temperatures and stands up to bumps, drops and exposure to water. Light and compact design lets you easily carry the charger in a purse, pack, pocket or glove box; carabiner clip lets you secure it to your pack and charge while you hike. Battery indicator in 25% increments shows how much power remains. Internal battery can be charged by light or by using the included USB cord with your computer. Included rechargeable torch features Off/Low/High/Recharge settings; on a full charge it will last up to 4 hrs. on High and 12 hrs. on Low. Includes accessory charging tips for Motorola, Blackberry mini USB, Nokia 2mm and 3.5mm, universal PSP/cameras, Samsung and Sony Ericsson devices. Also includes a USB connector that is compatible with iPhone(R) and iPod(R) charging cables. The High Gear Solarpod Solar Backup Power Charger comes with USB charging cable and DC cable for charging tips.

The HighGear Solar Pod is a solar charging panel that uses a Lithium-Ion battery that can be fully charged in 8 hours of sunlight or fully charged in less than 4 hours via computer USB. Equiped with 8 connector tips for use with your phone or ipod.

- CampSaver.com

Highgear Solar Pod

The Solar Pod has been discontinued.

The Highgear Solar Pod is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 9, 2013 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new solar charger, check out the best reviewed current models.