Hyperlite Mountain Gear Flat Tarp

This is an ultralight, absolutely waterproof tarp…

Price Paid: $340 + $33 postage + 84EURO tax

Summary

This is an ultralight, absolutely waterproof tarp for multiple day hikes. It is of very good quality and it fits into the storage bag it comes with.

Pros

• Ultralight
  • Totally waterproof
  • Lots of space to put your stuff
  • You can cook underneath it when it rains

Cons

• Expensive

I replaced the guy lines, and the 8'x10' flat tarp now weighs 320g including the stuff sack without stakes.

I have used this tarp on four multi-day hiking trips in the Dolomites/Italy and it shows no wear. I use it with the Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy, and there has never been any condensation on the bivy.

It is easy to set up. I always use my trekking poles.

It is completely waterproof. I used it for one week where it rained all night every night.

There is lots of room if you use it for one person. You can cook underneath the trap when it rains and look at everything around you.

Even when wet, it always packs down to the same size and will always fit into the storage sack it came with. I have never used the interior body tie outs.

This is a phenomenal product. Light, exactly what…

Summary

This is a phenomenal product. Light, exactly what one would expect, and very strong.

Pros

• Strong
  • Packable

Cons

• Expensive
  • Limited sizes

This is a great product. It does exactly what one would expect a flat tarp to do. Multiple tie outs for guylines. Extremely lightweight cuben fiber. Extremely strong. I've used this on multiple trips, for sun shade and rain protection.

It pitches as one would expect — in any fashion you can imagine. If you make the pitch taut, it stays that way through wind, rain, etc.

I wish it were available in more sizes, especially for larger groups who want to go ultralight.