Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter

The Porter is a general purpose mountaineering pack, weighing 25.1 ounces, with a capacity of 3,400 cubic inches. The Porter features a double-reinforced bottom and a three-tier compression system that can be used to attach skis, snowshoes or a sleeping pad to the outside of the pack.

Made in the United States and priced at $275, the Porter backpack is available in four torso sizes, ranging from 15 inches to 21+ inches, and with three different hip belts, to accommodate waist sizes from petite to burly.

It has external daisy chains, haul loops, numerous attachment points, and accessories for trip-specific customization.

Weight 25.1 oz
Capacity 3400 cu in

Lightweight, super tough. The Hyperlite Mountain Gear…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Lightweight, super tough.

Pros

• Tough
  • Made in America

Cons

• None

The Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter meets all my needs in a backpack. It is very light, the material and stitching are first rate. It handles winter loads well.

The strength of the fabric was tested during a trip to the Ventana Wilderness where we spent two days scrambling through some nearly impassable brush. No holes in the fabric and after a quick wash it looked like new.

A forty+ pound winter load (mid tarp tent, -20 degree bag, five days food and fuel) was easily swallowed up by the 4400 Porter. The optional back pocket makes a great place to keep maps and a water filter.

For peak bagging and day backcountry ski trips, the Porter has replaced all my other packs. I just tighten up the compression straps and roll down the top a little bit more. It's lighter than all my other day-packs.

Oh yeah, it's reasonably weather proof. If you pack your gear with waterproof stuff sacks you won't need a pack liner or a rain cover with the Porter.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jim. I've eyed the Hyperlites. They look good.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jim. Thanks for sharing your HMG pack review. I'd love to see some pictures of your pack in action, if you're willing to share some in your review.

Really fantastic pack. My go-to for weekend to week-long…

Summary

Really fantastic pack. My go-to for weekend to week-long trips!

Pros

• Minimalist
  • Versatile
  • Rain proof

Cons

• Price

I searched a long time to find a lightweight pack that could carry up to 40 lbs comfortably, that was actually long enough to fit my 21.5 inch torso. The Porter is the perfect pack for 90% of my trips, and I love the streamlined design and modular style of this pack.

For longer trips I add a front pocket, and for winter trips an insulated bottle pocket easily straps to the side. If the trip is short or I want to do some peak bagging, the volume is easily reduced with the three side compression straps to secure day-pack sized loads.

If you like a lot of pockets and compartments, this probably isn't the pack for you (check out HMG's other offerings), but if you're into minimalist backpacking, this is an awesome pack.

Survivalistarm

Sounds great, it's only a shame that there isn't a photo.

Survivalistarm