Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 Long Sleeve Crewe

Women's version, really lives up to the hype. Definitely…

Summary

Women's version, really lives up to the hype. Definitely worth the money.

Pros

• Warm
  • Soft
  • Breathes well
  • Feels good
  • Fights body odor

Cons

• Doesn't dry as fast as synthetic

Merino wool keeps sheep warm in winter and cool in summer. Period.  It will do the same for you. Once you go wool you're never going back to synthetic for base layer comfort.

I always smelled like a barn animal after hiking and camping in a synthetic base layer. No problem anymore. Not only does the merino shirt do better it actually inhibits bacterial growth, the difference is overwhelming.  This material is not the scratchy old wool I remember from childhood. It's spun or processed into a super soft, natural, next to skin feeling. Winter or summer my first choice is merino wool.

Other brands to look for are Stoic, Ibex, and of course Smartwool. I scour the outdoor internet retailers for clearance to get the best deals. You don't get the all encompassing color/size choices but keep looking, especially in summer, and find super discounts. Unless you're allergic give this a try and you'll be glad. The small extra expense is worth it!

Perfect thin but effective layering top. I read many…

Summary

Perfect thin but effective layering top.

Pros

• Merino wool is the best material

Cons

• Thin enough that it must be layered for extreme cold

I read many reviews of Icebreaker's BodyFit line suggesting that it would be very snug and form-fitting. This has not been my experience. I have slim and long arms and torso (35.5 inches around the chest), and hoped to be able to wear this top comfortably underneath cotton t-shirts or my various vintage wool cycling jerseys. The size medium top fits me loosely enough that it has to be a mid-layer if I'm wearing a form-fitting short-sleeved top as well, but that hasn't detracted from its functionality and comfort.

Like all my wool clothing, I can wear it for many days of intense sweating without having to wash or change it. I'm sure some people's bodies put out noxious odors no matter what they wear, but so far I've been wearing this top about a dozen times without washing it and without any noticeable odor.

It's great when the nights get cool, either against the skin on its own, under a sweater or hoodie, or over a short-sleeved shirt. The 150-level is definitely not designed to be a thick, super warm top for cold weather, but that makes it perfect for climates and trips where the temperature changes drastically throughout the day.

I wore it last week on a bike tour in the mountains of Colorado and it felt great day and night, and no matter how hard I rode in it during the day, it was dry and cozy by the time I set up camp and slipped into my sleeping bag with the IceBreaker BodyFit 150 Crew top as my only upper layer.

Well worth the money. I always hang dry mine. It will…

Summary

Well worth the money.

Pros

• Great stuff

Cons

• Price

I always hang dry mine. It will keep you reasonably warm when it's wet or dry and I love to switch into it when I soaked a different undershirt on the hike up. Fits really nice, breathable, and very good construction.

The Sonic provides comfort and support for multi-pitch trad routes and with its adjustable leg loops, makes a great ice climbing harness. Features include quick adjust buckles at the waist and legs, 4 big gear loops for ample racking, a full strength haul loop and reinforced tie-in points. The leg loop holdup straps adjust for proper fit, and can be dropped to heed the call of nature. The cambered waist belt is 3.2" wide in the back and narrowing to just 2" at the front. Adjustable leg loops taper from a wide 2.9" in back to an unobtrusive 1.3" in front. The waist and legs are lined with a soft, moisture wicking, polyester fabric covering a stiff closed cell foam for comfort and support. The Sonic harness will easily adapt to a wide range of climbing situations and will become your go to harness for all of your vertical adventures.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version

Discontinued . Stretchy-soft merino wool feels amazing next to skin, and Icebreakerand#39;s Bodyfit 150 base layer top turns any day into a comfortable, ready-for-anything experience with its temperature-regulating, luxuriously lightweight feel. Available Colors: BLACK/MINERAL, CADET, CARBON. Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

As the lightest wool base layer from Icebreaker, the Bodyfit 150 long-sleeve crew top offers just the right amount of soft insulation for activities in cool weather such as hiking or spring skiing. Made of soft, non-irritating merino wool mixed with spandex, the Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 long-sleeve crew top dries quickly, wicks moisture and resists odors naturally. With a UPF rating of 50+, fabric offers very good protection from UV light. Slim fit; machine washable. Please note that this item includes the top only.

- REI refers to the men's version

Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 Long Sleeve Crewe

The Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 Long Sleeve Crewe is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 13, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new base layer top, check out the best reviewed current models.