Icebreaker Everyday Long Sleeve Crewe

A superb, comfortable baselayer for cool weather activities.

Summary

A superb, comfortable baselayer for cool weather activities.

Pros

• Breathable
  • Warm when you need it, cool when you don't
  • Good fit
  • Nicely made

I started wearing Merino baselayers back in 2003, when they first seemed to be hitting the market. In those days, it was Smartwool, and not much else. Most of the tops I purchased those many years ago, are now in tatters, so it was time to replace.

Having had good recent success with Icebreaker, I found this shirt on sale, and took the bait.

I have found Icebreaker's fit to be slightly on the small side, so even though I usually wear XL in most tops, 2XL seems to work best for Icebreaker. Having said that, the fit is comfortable without feeling tight, and emphasizing certain less attractive parts of my anatomy.

The weave of the 200 weight/100% Merino is a little different from most jersey weaves, but I really like it, as it feels pretty substantial, and should hold up nicely. On a recent hike in the Sierra foothills, I experienced a variety of winter conditions. In the shady forest it would get chilly, but in the sunshine it would be pretty warm. Snowshoeing in Lassen, again, the conditions were changeable depending on the availability of the sun. The shirt was comfortable in both circumstances, and I didn't feel the need to adjust layers every time it shifted.

Breathability is top notch. On this very steep foothill hike, I always work up a good sweat. But I was never conscious of it, and the moisture evaporated off very quickly. Not sure, but thinking it may have something to do with the nice weave.

The low profile layered nicely under a wind shell and fleece. Construction is very clean... good stitching on all seams, the crew neck, and raglan sleeves.

After a couple of good winter foothill hikes, this has made its way to the front of my gear lineup. Looking forward to using it more, and getting out MORE this winter!

Old Guide

Thanks, am always looking for something that sheds sweat and stays comfortable