Icebreaker Hopper Lite

I found the shirt off the shelf to be comfortable.

Summary

I found the shirt off the shelf to be comfortable. It wicked well. It kept me warm as a base layer. Then I washed it. Each time it would come out of the washing machine there would be little holes in it. I asked the local store where I bought it about it they said bring it back. I rarely return anything. Well after wearing the shirt 10 times it had so many holes in it that it was no longer comfortable. The shop said I had went through a briar patch.. I said yup it looks like it for sure...just never tore any of my outter layers...just the inner layer and they only showed up after each machine washing... a disloving tshirt.... kind of like tolet paper.. .don't wash it.

Pros

• warm
  • light
  • no stink

Cons

• disolves when washing it. $65 you expect more.

I was told it was the best of the best. I said tell me why I need a $65 tshirt. They laid it all out.. so being a good consumer I bought it.

After the first washing I noticed a hole in it. I thought, man I don't remember getting into anything that would have snagged it. It's a base layer. I sewed the hole and put it away.

Next summer, wore it and new holes developed. Asked the local shop about it. Well bring it in. I only wear the thing a few times a year and hardly every return anything.  In this case I brought it back in for an evaluation.

I was told at the counter by a couple  of guys there that had them..said well the same thing happend to mine.  I was told I let the moths eat it. GRIN! No moths in my house.  Just some lightweight moreno wool icebreaker that dissolves when washed...GRIN! I have other wool, Smartwool...none have ever dissolved when washed.

They are looking at trying to get me a little heavier weight shirt to replace it if Icebreaker will OK it.  I told him I had only spent about $6000 at his shop over the past 4 years. I wouldn't hold it against them. One miss on good gear wouldn't turn me away..but I don't plan on buying another Icebreaker unless they come clean and can be washed...without dissolving.

almost ideal hiking shirt. the fabric is very smooth…

almost ideal hiking shirt.

the fabric is very smooth and comfortable in a pretty wide range of temperatures. it wicks moisture fairly well and dries reasonably quickly while wearing it. like all merino wool shirts, it is effectively odor-free, except for a wet wool odor when it is really wet.

i wore this shirt in a variety of weather and temperature conditions, including equatorial/jungle heat.  the fabric is a little too thick for the most hot/humid conditions; there are 150 weight merino shirts that perform better in the hottest weather.

because i wear this shirt so often with a backpack, it has a little pilling on the back.  it also has a small hole in one short sleeve, at a point where it rubs against a shoulder strap. so far, the hold has remained small.

my only real complaint is price - it's a lot of money for a short sleeved shirt - but in terms of fit and function, i love it.

I first saw this t-shirt on the 2011 Backpacker Editor's…

I first saw this t-shirt on the 2011 Backpacker Editor's Choice awards. I found it hard to believe that any t-shirt would be worth $75. You got to be kidding me!

So I did my research on practically every possible outdoor gear store and forum. All I could find were extremely happy hikers and backpackers. Endless reviews of how awesome this shirt was and how no matter what, it never smelled bad after days and days of use.

Well, this is what I was looking for. I have one EMS synthetic t-shirt, that is hardly an upgrade from a cotton t-shirt. I needed something better. So, I found a deal online ($20 off Icebreaker), and managed to justify taking a chance spending $55 on this shirt.

The Hopper arrived in the mail last Saturday, and I have been training on a 4 mile Bluff trail every day since. Between running and hiking in this 1-2 hours every day, I have worked up a lot of sweat. After one day the EMS shirt I had went straight to the laundry. The Hopper? 4 days no wash, it smells decent.

It's extremely comfortable and breathable. I don't find it itchy at all. A lighter color would be a bit cooler in the sun, but I believe it's money worth spent.

If you can find a sale on Icebreaker products, you won't regret it.

Visit Icebreaker's Hopper Lite page.

The Icebreaker Men's Hopper Lite Shirt thrives in warmer temperatures whether you're hiking, backpacking, climbing, traveling, or exploring your own hometown. A thin, light merino wool makes up this shirt to regulate your body temperature, naturally resist odor, and feel soft and non-itchy next to your skin. Raglan sleeves keep the seams off your shoulders in order to accommodate backpack straps more comfortably.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Icebreaker Men's Hopper Lite SS Shirt FEATURES of the Icebreaker Men's Hopper Lite Short Sleeve Shirt Ultra lightweight Naturally odor-resistant Breathable Raglan sleeves Icebreaker embroidered logo SPECIFICATIONS of the Icebreaker Men's Hopper Lite Short Sleeve Shirt Ultra lightweight 150 gm merino Regular fit 100% merino wool

The Hopper Lite is made from thin, light, 150gm merino wool that breathes to keep you cool and comfortable. Perfect for travelling, this versatile tee comes in three stylish colour combinations.

- RockCreek

The Icebreaker Men's Superfine190 Hopper Short-Sleeve T-Shirt is, well, super fine. This performance top will change the way you look at T-shirts. Icebreaker constructed it from lightweight merino wool, which breathes like the dickens, doesn't hold odor, and feels ridiculously soft. But don't be frightened by the wool-it is machine washable and won't itch. Wear this regular-fit, raglan-sleeve T-shirt for mountain biking on a summer day, as a base layer while skiing, or around town with friends.

- Backcountry Outlet