Super comfortable across a variety of conditions.

Summary

Super comfortable across a variety of conditions.

Pros

• Soft
  • Excellent fit
  • Wicking
  • Dries quickly
  • Excellent odor control
  • Good temperature range

Cons

• None, so far

12182801_10153804567394604_5079137036580
I have several merino hiking shirts which are now pushing ten years old, and looking a bit ragged, so I decided it was time to update my wardrobe.

Though my usual shirt size is XL, I found that the XXL was a more comfortable fit for me. It is cut reasonably long for my longish torso, so my gut isn't hanging out when reaching high.

This shirt is made of Icebreaker's new "Cool-Lite" Merino blend, which includes 20% plant-based Tencel threads, plus 15% nylon. They market it as being "40% cooler" than their regular Merino fabric. On a recent coastal hike, with steep grades, I worked up a fair amount of perspiration, and the fabric did a superb job of wicking moisture. And when the chilly winds kicked in from offshore, the fabric still kept me comfortable all day long. I was never conscious of being either hot or cold whether in shade or sun or wind. It was the best temperature regulation I have ever experienced from any hiking shirt.

It layers nicely under a light fleece or wind shell. I will be interested in how it wears over time, though I would think that the nylon would improve durability over plain Merino. The construction appears to be first rate, with good straight stitching and no loose threads.

I am looking forward to "testing" this shirt more time goes on. For now though, it has made it to the top of my list!

G00SE

Nice looking shirt, David. Let us know how it holds up.