Icebreaker Tech T Lite

This shirt does everything I was told and more. I…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

This shirt does everything I was told and more. I use it for casual wear, for exercising and will use it as an undershirt when it gets cold again. It breathes better than any synthetic I've worn.

Pros

• Versatile - So many uses

This shirt reminds me of my Asolo Fugitive GTX boots: it fits perfectly, I wish I could wear it every day. Now that I'm retired, maybe I will!

The Merino wool breathes better than any synthetic fabric I've ever worn. The wicking is also better than synthetics I've worn for running, cycling or working in the hot Texas summer. Unlike the synthetics, it's not prone to snag and run every time I catch on something. The fabric is soft and so I don't have the chaffing problems I used to have when I run a longer distance.

The workmanship is superb. The knitting is consistent and so the finish gives you a shirt that I wear for casual occasions. It's not so form-fitting that it looks like you're trying to show off your physique.

If it ever gets cold again, I'll be wearing it as an undershirt, too. The breath-ability and hydrophobic characteristics will be just what I'll be looking for.

Buy this shirt.

This shirt has been associated with a lot of promotional…

This shirt has been associated with a lot of promotional hype to justify a high price tag and poorly thought out intentions for use. While the use of merino wool is excellent for snug-fitting baselayers+/or 'skins', lightweight merino fabric for hot-warm weather or high activity loose-fit gear is inappropriate.

Even at moderate temperatures I found the fabric itchy, irritating and hot (superfine merino wool is not 'itch-free' as many manufacturers/merchants claim-just relatively less so than coarser wool types and grades). Add to that the fact that the seams are not sewn flat (particularly irritating in the sleeve) and I was left wondering why I spent some $80 on it.

As for the issue of wool being relatively resistant to collecting body odour I saw no particular advantage over similar wicking polyester equivalents - I tried wearing the shirt continuously for three days straight and while it obviously 'performed' better than a cotton t might, my girlfried independently informed me that it still smelled pretty awfully toward the end!

It does the job of wicking moisture as one might expect but this is no consolation. Particularly given that there are more durable lightweight polyester quick drying/wicking t-shirts out there that feel vastly more soft handed  + comfortable, have flat seams, feel cooler in hot conditions and can be worn for the same amount of time at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

Overall a waste of money

Visit Icebreaker's Boys' Tech T Lite page.

The Icebreaker Tech T Lite is a lightweight, odor resistant and breathable material. Ideal use for any outdoor activity.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Designed for everyday wear and trekking in the hills, the merino wool Icebreaker Tech T Lite Wave T-Shirt can be worn by itself in the summer or in combination with layers in cool weather.

- REI refers to the men's version

High output activities that require efficient temperature regulation need the Icebreaker Tech T Lite. Made with the lightest merino wool in the line, the Tech T Lite keeps you dry and cool from the backcountry to the tarmac. Naturally odor resistant, these shirts are the perfect companion for any extended wear endeavor! 150 gm 100% Merino Wool Ultra lightweight A touch of LYCRA(R) for a great fit Naturally odor-resistant Breathable Set-in sleeves

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Icebreaker Tech T Lite Short Sleeve Crew T-Shirt for Men

- SunnySports refers to the men's version